CHAPTER 25

After getting call from Saif, I panicked. He had said, Elham is missing since our confrontation. She isn't at his home and her phone is switched off. I hurriedly changed into a shirt and trouser, I had been wearing in the morning and rushed out, I didn't even bother explaining Mamma anything. I just said I have an urgent work and ran.

Saif is waiting for me in his car, down at the gate. First we searched in our locality, near the pool, playground. I also went to Khala's place, I say I was here casually. Khala wasn't letting me go, she made me sit and started to cry talking about Elham. With great difficulty, I managed to leave.

'Any luck?' Saif asked me as I dialed Elham's number. The robotic voice replies that the number is switched off. I shake my head. Saif runs his fingers through his hair frustrated. I hear him curse, I too am worried, scared to death actually. Where can Elham be there? I didn't know much of Delhi, Saif did. So, I and he started to look around. Saif drives to every place he had been with Elham, I didn't like it but I pushed these negative thoughts behind my head, for now Elham is my top priority.

We searched for one hour, I had covered almost whole of Delhi. I suggested to go to police but Saif said police will not write a missing complaint till 48hours of the person missing. I lean my head back against the seat and closed my eyes trying to calm myself.

Saif takes me to a park where Saif had said, Elham always comes here when she is upset. Last time when she was really upset she had come here.

We looked around the entire park, it's really late in the night. I searched her using my mobile torch, at times I accidently hit some people sleeping on the grass. They cursed me, I just said sorry to them and moved on.

Saif sighs in defeat after we used up one more hour searching for Elham, I didn't know any of Elham's friend where she could have gone. Saif says Elham had no other friend at work, most of her time was spent talking to me and rest of the time she used to hang out with Saif. I didn't know who to dial, who to call for help.

That night, I couldn't sleep. I have an important meeting with a client but I am least bit bothered about that. I am worried sick for Elham. Where can she be? I really hope she is fine?

I lie on my side, I caressed her side of the bed. I brought her pillow to my face and smelled her fragrance. The smell of her shampoo still lingering on her pillow. A tear drop escapes my eyes. It's really late in the night, and the city is unsafe for anyone to roam around. I am praying that Elham is safe. I wish I could just know where she is? And see if she is alright and only then can I relax.

I hugged her pillow imagining hugging her, I inhaled her scent and begin to cry. Few minutes later, I take the pillow with me and walk up to the study table. I recollected that day when I had showed her the movie I had prepared and then confessed my love for her. She was with me then, we were so happy, she was so happy. I switched on my laptop. I am sobbing like crazy as I watch the movie.

I paused on a photo of us. In the photo, we are no less than 10years of age, it was a family trip to Ooty. I and Elham are standing next to the fence behind which is a deep cliff. Elham has her arm around my shoulder. She beams at the camera while I am glancing back nervously. I zoomed on Elham's face. She has become so much beautiful now. Earlier she was pretty but now she has transformed into a young beautiful woman.

I caressed her photo and kept repeating 'I love you, please come back', I also chanted 'sorry'. But nothing I say is making me feel better, only after I know about Elham's whereabouts or see for myself that she is alright. I will feel better. I hope I find out about her soon, else I will die out of anxiety and tension.

I carried the laptop to the bed, I placed the laptop on her side, the video paused at Elham's photo. I lay there admiring her picture.

I pick up my phone. It's 7am, I checked if there is any message from Saif or Elham. But nothing positive, I dialed Elham's number again but it is still switched off. I sigh! I then start to go through old chats exchanged between me and Elham. I felt really nostalgic and started to cry profusely, missing her even more. I didn't realize when I fell asleep.