CHAPTER 23

'Elham!' I knocked at the bathroom door, she is taking longer than usual inside.

'Five minutes' she calls from inside. I wait patiently. When she comes out I ask her if everything is alright, she nods her head. I noticed her hiding something behind her back, out of courtesy I didn't ask her. She swiftly stuffed whatever she had been holding into her purse. I frown but I didn't say anything. We had our breakfast with Mamma and silently drive to work. I am glad Elham's office timings let her drop and pick me from work. Our work places aren't much far apart either.

I am working in my cabin; I have a meeting with a client within one hour and I have to do my preparations. I hear the door knock and I asked the person to enter. I didn't hear anything from the person and so I looked up and I am surprised to see Elham there. She is dressed in her blue and red printed long Kurthi and red churidar matched with black stiletto heels. She looked disturbed but when I look at her she smiles.

'You here?' I say surprised. I stand and pull a chair for her. She sits. I ask if she would have a coffee. She refuses. I kneel beside her and look at her. I was tensed about the meeting but as she came I felt lighter and relaxed. I held her cheek in my palm and caressed her cheek gently looking into her eyes.

'Juwaid.... Juwaid...' I hear my colleague, Aarav, call my name. I opened my eyes and find I am sitting alone in the cabin with the client's file open and placed in front of me. I sigh, resting my elbow on the table I buried my head in my palms.

I had been imagining Elham here, I had only seen such stuff happen in movies, I had laughed then but now I realize I love her so much. This thought made me little anxious about her feelings. She had asked for time and I have given her and now I must be patient. Thinking about her I feel much relaxed and prepared for the meeting.

'You are coming in fifteen minutes, I am waiting' I say on phone to Elham. I have just finished my meeting with the client and thankfully it went well, they seem impressed. Now I wait for Elham to pick me up. I had suggested I will come by catching a public transport but she refused. She also added that she has made dinner and I be prepared to eat. And I am really excited to taste food made by wife.

'Fatto!' Elham says stopping the car in front of me and pulls down the window. I beam at her. Seeing her return to normal makes me feel lighter. No one can say about her mood; her mood is like weather and can change abruptly.

I climb into the car and smile at her 'I hope the food doesn't upset my stomach' I say. Her mouth drops open; she smacks my arm and I laugh.

'How was the meeting?' she asks as she drives. I give all the details of the meeting and she listened to me carefully and is really impressed with me. She complimented me and my chest swell with pride.

I quickly freshen up and changed into my casuals and rushed out from the room and into the dining room.

Elham is arranging the plate and the dish she has made. I look around and find Mamma working in the kitchen and it's only me and Elham in the dining room. I tip-toed and hugged her from behind. She gasps and drops the cutlery on the plate creating a loud clinking sound.

'Everything alright, Beta!' Mamma calls from in the kitchen.

'Ya Ma' Elham replies she then turns her head and glares at me. I pecked her cheek

'I can't wait to devour... (her eyes widen) the food' I say and nuzzled my nose into her cheek. She smiles and hits her face with mine.

'Juwaid.' She says and moves my hand from around her waist. She turns around and looks at me, and says after dinner she wants to take me for a walk in the building's backyard. I nod. I wonder if she has something to say, whatever she has to say I am all ears.