CHAPTER 20

'Attention' I say clicking the wine glass with a spoon to get everyone's attention. I walk on the stage as I get everyone to look at me. I look at Sam and he smiles at me, I and he had discussed this last night. I had called him after Elham had slept (I had to talk in the bathroom to avoid, Elham's snore) and made this plan.

'Before you all head for lunch, there will be another wedding here now' I announce. Everyone looks confused. I kept the glass in the corner and climb down the stage, all eyes follow me as I walk towards Elham. She is even more confused. I stop few steps ahead of her and look directly into her eyes I kneeled in front of her. She watches me wide eyed. I forwarded my palm

'Miss. Elham Siddique, will you marry me?' I ask

I can see Elham is shocked, there is silence for few seconds before the crowd goes crazy demanding Elham she says yes. I didn't feel nervous; in fact, I am confident she will say yes. But then she is taking slightly longer than I had expected, it is then I realized that maybe I hurried with this decision. Maybe I did a mistake?

Elham looks around and then back at me, I have my gaze fixed on her. She closes her eyes and then opens them. I see her eyes moist.

She then smiles slightly and nods her head, placing her hand in mine. A gush of relief passed through me. I wasn't worried about being embarrassed if she rejected me, I was worried that our friendship might get strained because of my impulsiveness. Right then I decided I will not hurry with my confession, I will first observe Elham carefully and only after making sure she loves me too will I confess.

Rishi, James and Sam tease me till I turn into red tomato, they complimented Elham. I felt pride when they described her to be the most beautiful girl they have met, and that I am lucky. I am indeed the world's most lucky man.

I watch awestruck as my bride walks up to me dressed in the bridal wear I got for her yesterday. She is looking even more stunning and breathtaking than I had imagined. We now stand facing each other, this time for real.

'Mr. Juwaid Zafar Ali do you accept Miss. Elham Siddiqui as your legally wedded wife' the priest asks smiling

'I do' I reply instantly, the priest smile widens and my friends hoots in the background.

'Miss. Elham Siddiqui do you take Mr. Juwaid Zafar Ali as your legally wedded husband' he then asks Elham

Elham looks at me for few seconds, directly into my eyes. Why is she so hesitant? Am I doing a mistake, am I forcing her? she smiles, her eyes glistening with tears

'I do' she says softly her gaze locked with mine.

'You may now kiss the bride'

I smile and kissed Elham's cheek while everyone clapped and my friends hooted. We are asked to exchange rings. Elham looks concerned but I didn't panic. I am prepared.

I fish out a red velvet box. I used up half my savings for this, but I know it's worth it. I open the box and reveal two platinum couple bands. Elham forwards her hand, beaming I slide the ring into her finger. It is then her turn, I felt goose bumps as she slides the ring into my finger. I admire the ring. Everyone claps, I smile at Elham, she smiles back.

'Elham! are you happy?' I ask as we drive back home, Elham looks at me and shifts closer. She entangles her arm with mine.

'Yes! Everything happened so suddenly that I was taken back...but I am happy' she says. I am relieved. I rest my head over hers and places my palm over hers. I look out from the car window smiling widely.

As the elevator to our floor opens I scoop Elham in my arms, she gasps. She giggles as I nuzzle her cheek carrying her to the room. I kicked open the door and carry her in.