CHAPTER 8

I stopped going to office after I was discharged two days later. I had Rishi hand my resignation to the office. Adams was taken into custody and so there is new temporary boss, Mr. Joseph. After loosing Racheal, I am a new man. Looking into the mirror even I can't recognize myself. I spoke to Elham couple of times, even she sensed my different avatar. I didn't tell anything and insisted I will tell once I come to India. She didn't question me and understood my situation. I feel grateful to have an understanding friend like her. I want to meet her and confide everything to her, hug her and cry. Cry my eyes out. I know it's only with Elham I can be myself, show my vulnerable side.

She won't judge me; she knows me more than I know myself. Thinking about her I feel lighter. Seeing my trauma Mamma has decided to permanently shift to India, there is nothing left here anyways.

First I lost Dad to another woman and now I lost the love of my life. The more I stay here, the more I am traumatized. Here along with my friends Mamma had been my emotional support, though she had met Racheal only once for a brief moment the day she had fainted but that won't be counted as she hardly remembers who had visited her that day but she has heard about her and so knows my feelings for her.

At times when I miss Racheal more than usual, I rest my head-on Mamma's lap and cry like a baby. She caresses my hair but doesn't tell anything, I will at peace after I open up to my mother. It's only Mamma and Elham in front of whom I can be who I am, the real Juwaid Zafar Ali.

Every night, after Mamma sleeps I sneak out taking the spare key. I stand outside Racheal's building and look up at the window of her apartment.

It pains me to be standing on the same spot where I lost Racheal yet I come here because my memories of Racheal are attached here and it holds a special place.

Finally, the day arrived for us to shift to India. Our flight is at night; Mamma is doing the last-minute packing while I pace in my room. I feel restless, before I leave for India I was hoping Adams is caught.

That afternoon just after I and Mamma had our lunch I hear the door-bell. I ask my mother to not worry as I will get the door.

I opened the door and find two policemen standing on the other side.

'Yes?'

'Mr. Ali. We have finally nabbed the shooter, and he confessed everything... (I held my breath as they continue) and you were right Adams had paid this shooter...we have caught him too' one of the policeman say.

I am relieved and very happy that Racheal's killers are behind bar. The policemen assured me that they will be punished. Adams ex-wife also has come out to give testimony against Adams proving that he is abusive and very dominating person. All this will go against him and he will surely be sentenced for lifetime imprisonment. I am satisfied that justice has been done. The policemen also hand me an envelope; I look at them clueless as I take the envelope from them.

They say, they searched Racheal's apartment and found two letters. One in which she had written that she fears her life might be at risk from Adams (this again will be a strong evidence against him) and another letter which she left for me.

After they had left I hurried to my room and lock myself in. With trembling fingers, I opened the letter. Bringing it close to my face I sniffed her perfume. Tears roll from my eyes as I recollect her fragrance. Her memories flashing in front of my eyes.

I quickly wiped my tears and begin to read the letter

Juwaid,

When I was young I lost all faith in love and good men but with you coming in my life all of that changed. Being with you I felt different, I felt at peace. We started off as friends but there was something more that I had started to feel for you. I took some while to understand this feeling...sort this strange feeling.