Chapter One

WHAT DO YOU mean by there isn't any money left?" Elizabeth Golding found herself raising her voice at her cousin and accountant. He couldn't be serious.

"I'm sorry cuz," he shrugged, seeming unaffected by her distress. "If there isn't anything else, I would appreciate it if you left."

Outraged, Liz swept the things off his desk in one fluid motion. He immediately stood up in shock before his pudgy face redden in anger.

"Now you listen to me, cuz," she pointed her finger at, her blue eyes flashing with a yellow hue of contained anger. "That was my savings and just last week, all my money was there."

"Well in case you didn't realize," he squatted to pick up a file from the floor and opened it to show, his breathing coming out a little too fast from doing the simple task. "The account belonged to both you and my mother and since she left everything to me. I was allowed to use the money to pay off some debts."

"What kind of fuckery is that?" Liz practically screamed. "Aunt Beth didn't have any debts."

"Well, she did and your signature here said she had access to pay for any debts that were to her name," he stated with a smirk before closing the file. "Sadly, she wasn't the one to incur those debts, but I am her son. It's her responsibility and thus, I used the cash to pay off my- I mean, her debts."

"And that took over a hundred grand?!" She screeched before she stopped to calm down. Although calming down was far from her mind at the moment. "That was my entire savings you bloody còcksucker."

"Well, that's sad, but as you know I couldn't sell any of her assets so this was my only option," he then sat down, leaning back into his seat looking like the cat that got the cream. "Talking about assets, I hope you remember that effective immediately, you should move out of the house that my mother left me."

"Well, if you had the decency to check, my things have been removed from the property," she told him icily, her cool composure coming back together. "Not that you have anything remotely decent about you, my conniving cousin. Anyways, have a terrible day."

She then deliberately stepped on his laptop and then accidentally crushed his phone screen and pen holder when she stepped back. He jumped out of his seat this time, a large vein standing up in the middle of his forehead. Elizabeth would have laughed if she wasn't busy getting out of his office.

It was when she reached into the elevator and the doors slid close on her enraged cousin standing at the door of his office that she finally allowed herself to go insane. And she laughed. She laughed and kicked the side of the elevator that did more harm to herself than it did to the metal container, but it still felt good. She slid to the ground in the corner, tears running down her cheeks despite her hysterical laughing. It couldn't be avoided, she decided when she saw the curious glances of the other three occupants of the elevator. Things were finally going so well, she was getting over the death of her parents five years ago. But then this happened and there was no hiding the emotions. She couldn't wait until she was locked in her room, because it wouldn't be the same. She had no room since she was now living at the woman's shelter. Her only hope was to return back to Britain to try and find some relative or familiar face, but that could never happen as she now didn't even have the money to buy a plane ticket.

But there had to be a way. She still had her job. There had to be a way. With that, Liz stood up just in time as the elevator doors open and the people started to filter out.

She stepped out, raking her hand through her hair. Trying to dry the tears from her cheeks, she remembered she had put a clean rag in her bag before leaving the shelter earlier. She then realized she left her handbag back at the office.