Chapter 48,49 and 50

Chapter 48

The friends came over at different points during the day, during the hours of seemingly endless contractions. Soon they became closer together and Rikki offered her hand for Cleo to grab onto – Lewis was busy.

Rikki had to keep herself from cursing, as Cleo's grip was as tight as a vice and very, very painful.

"I think it's coming," Cleo managed to wheeze out.

"Oh, yeah, you're right," Lewis started to panic. Will put a reassuring hand on his shoulder. Lewis was very glad that he was there to help things along.

"Okay Cleo, you need to push," she did but raised her hand weakly and began to use her powers.

"What are you doing Cleo?" Lewis asked confused. Suddenly the baby's head emerged.

"Well...that was quick..." Will said.

A screaming baby girl was brought into the world...well...a screaming baby mermaid was...

Cleo released her grip on Rikki's hand. She rubbed her hand and gasped,

"Cleo, I didn't realise you were so strong, OW!"

"Sorry..." she winced

Lewis was staring at the mermaid in his arms with awe and love – but also there was some confusion behind his eyes...

"I knew she was going to be a mermaid, but this is still a shock," he said nervously. The little girl had a pale orange tail. Lewis cleaned her and then once she was dry, she turned back into a regular newborn baby.

"Well, I sure as heck am glad that we didn't go to hospital for that delivery..."

The proud father placed his baby girl into his wife's exhausted arms. All their friends came into see the baby. Cleo and her daughter, lying on her chest, were soon fast asleep.

OoOoO

"So, what's her name?" Anna asked

"Jennifer Raine McCartney,"

"Very pretty," Bella remarked, "It'll be my turn next month," she said.

OoOoO

Jennifer Raine McCartney looked up at her mother with large brown eyes from her cot. She had tanned skin like her mother and wisps of dirty blonde hair. She was an exact combination of Cleo and Lewis when it came to facial features. The young parents found out that it took a much longer period of time to transform, unless she was submerged up to her waist or more. When Cleo accidently spilt some water onto Jennifer's arm, the baby didn't transform after ten seconds or even thirty. She still was not changed after about forty seconds when Cleo wiped it off. Lewis decided to run an experiment. He placed some water on Jennifer's arm and left it there. It took a whole minute for her to transform. This seemed to be a result of being half mermaid, half-human. However, when she was submerged up to her waist or higher, she transformed in about ten seconds –the same as her mother.

At a week old, Jennifer seemed a lot more mature for her age – not in size- but she seemed to understand what was going on about her.

When Cleo had her bath, she would take Jennifer in with her and sit her on her chest. It was a curious sight to see a fully-grown and baby mermaid in a bath together.

At two weeks, she had worked out how to move her hand in such a way that she could use her powers. Two occasions showed Cleo and Lewis this for the first time.

The first was when the two of them were again in the bath together. Cleo had turned the tap off with her power when it turned on again. 'That's odd,' Cleo had thought, and she tried again. Again it turned back on. She looked down at Jennifer, who despite her years had a gummy smile and was moving her hand in the same way as her mother, imitating her actions.