Chapter 3

Chapter 3

"Now look what you've done!" Rikki exclaimed as her tail appeared.

"Help me!" Rikki whispered to Zane.

Suddenly a frozen ball of water flew at her head; she dodged missing by a whisker. Cleo and Emma began attacking. The moon now had a complete hold on the three mermaids.

Zane ran round the pool trying to work out what to do.

Now a frozen water tentacle came at Rikki. Rikki raised her arm to counter the attack. Soon the tower became a hiss of steam. They attacked again and again, using different angles. Rikki blocked the surge of water each time with her power.

Meanwhile Zane was fending off Bella. He was trying to pull her out of the pool, but she would turn the water around her to jelly, making her heavier than normal. Just as Zane gave up Bella used her power on one of Cleo's water tentacles. It came towards Rikki slowly, threateningly. Rikki tried her power against it, at first the gelatine melted but as Bella hardened it, Emma froze it also, proving too much for the singular mermaid. As Cleo made it attack, Rikki swam ducked under the water, and then out of the way. Rikki evaded many of these attacks, making her very fatigued. Just as she thought she had a rest for a second another gelatine tentacle came at her. Just as this happened, Zane hoisted her out of the way, using all his energy, onto the pavement beside the pool. If Rikki had not have moved, the force of that tentacle would have knocked her unconscious. The effort it took to lift a mermaid out of the water left Zane on the ground breathing heavily. Just as she was flung on dry land her hat and glasses fell off. Fortunately the last of the full moon's rays had just disappeared and then sun was rising.

"Zane!" Rikki gasped, "You saved my life!"

Zane was flattered by what Rikki said

Now on dry ground, Rikki dried herself and transformed back into a human. Zane hoisted three more mermaids out of that pool, and Rikki dried them all. Zane and Rikki swiftly half carried, half dragged the three girls out of the garden.

By the time the girls and Zane arrived back at Cleo and Bella's apartment it was early morning. After laying the unconscious girls on the floor, Rikki and Zane collapsed on the couch.

Rikki looked up at Zane with an insecure look on her face.

"Thank you for saving my life...Or at least saving me from a blinding headache, I really do appreciate it..." Rikki rambled.

"It's ok; I never took last year's comment seriously anyway." He smiled weakly.

"Why did I ever break up with you?" Rikki sighed, as they leaned in to kiss.

"I am terribly sorry for what I did last year... forgive me?" He asked

"You are already forgiven..." Rikki said and Zane kissed her.

"Does this mean we are together again?" He questioned her seriously.

"I'll think about it." Rikki laughed at Zane's expression. "I may need some more convincing." She grinned. Zane leaned in to kiss her again but they were interrupted by an indignant voice.

"Now look at who is being mushy!" Cleo demanded.

"Hey!" Rikki exclaimed.

"Just getting you back" replied Cleo.

Bella and Emma, who had just woken, sat up slowly.

"Oh my head," Bella moaned

"What happened last night, it's a blank for me," Emma asked with her hand on her head.