Chapter 9

Chapter 9

The following day – Rikki's Cafe

Cleo was helping Rikki at the cafe, but Rikki had banned Cleo from using the microwave since that unfortunate incident. Anyway, Cleo was in a generous mood and was helping out.

Dr Denman walked in.

The two of them saw her and shared a glance, looking up from what they were doing. Cleo was clearing the till and Rikki was giving a smoothie to a waitress to take to one of the tables.

"Do you think she knows?" Cleo asked Rikki as Denman looked over at them with a strange expression on her face.

"Who know, I'm sure we'll find out soon" she deducted.

As Denman approached the counter they plastered fake smiles on their faces.

"Can I help you Dr Denman?" Rikki asked raising her eyebrows

"Yes, ah, could I have a Banana Fofana,"

"Yeah, sure. That'll be $4.50 thanks."

Denman handed her money over to Cleo who put it in the newly cleared till.

Rikki prepared the smoothie and brought it over to the doctor. As she handed it over, Denman somehow managed to spill it all over Rikki's front.

Rikki staring devils at the woman raced into the manager's office and closed the door as she came in. As soon as the door slammed shut Rikki toppled over, now bearing a large orange tail.

"You could've caught me you know!" Rikki exclaimed as Zane watched amused from his desk.

"Sorry 'bout that" Denman said apologetically.

"It's alright, could've happened to anyone," Cleo said, secretly she was thinking 'Nice way to see if we are still mermaids, she may be on to us,'

"I'm sure Rikki will be out in a few" she continued.

Rikki was. She came back remarkably quickly, wearing a dry shirt. As soon as she was on the floor back in the office she used her power to dry herself and Zane fetched a dry shirt for her to change into to make to act more convincing.

"And here she is," Cleo announced.

'Nice covering it up Miss Chadwick' Denman thought to herself taking in the fresh shirt and the speed at which she had returned to the counter.

After giving Denman a new smoothie, (sliding it across the counter this time to avoid another mishap) Rikki went back into the office, leaving Cleo to hold the fort for a few minutes.

She slumped into a chair breathing a sigh of relief.

"You okay?" Zane asked.

"Yeah...now," Rikki replied.

"Do you think she suspects anything?" Zane questioned

"Dunno, I made the change pretty quick – thanks for the shirt by the way,"

"No problem" Zane replied.

"Hey, wanna go treasure hunting later?" Rikki asked casually

"Ahh...aren't you not supposed be swimming?"

"Yeah, but it can't hurt, could it?"

"Yes it would, "Zane interrupted firmly, "It would endanger you and your friends if you got caught. Please don't. For me and them. Not so soon,"

"Fine." Rikki replied deflated, "Just for you"