Chapter 6

Chapter 6

The Next Day – Cleo and Bella's Apartment

A bustle of activity was a way to describe their apartment that morning.

Cleo jumped into her car and quickly drove to work at the Marine Park. Cleo was in such a rush that she forgot to tell her friends about last night's episode, and Lewis was in the same boat.

Bella was a little more laid back. She had already been up for her morning walk, and when she got back she saw Cleo scoffing down her breakfast. Bella worked at a nearby intermediate school as a teacher of music, so she didn't have to be at work for another half hour.

Once Cleo arrived at work she began her daily routine. This included feeding the dolphins. Over the years Ronnie and his 'girlfriend' had had a few pups, these dolphins were the ones Cleo were in charge of. She had trained them with the help of Will. Will walked up to Cleo, "Hey" he said, and they exchanged greetings. They soon went on to do the usual tasks of their day.

Ash, Emma, Bella, Ben and Anna had all arrived at work and begun their daily tasks.

While their friends were working Rikki and Zane were just starting their day.

"Morning Sir" Rikki mock saluted the sleepy Zane.

He turned over and buried his face deeper into the pillow and mumbled something indecipherable.

"What was that sir?" She asked with mock seriousness.

"Did you say you were awake? Good then!" She said brightly.

A pillow came hurtling towards her head, she dodged this with ease.

"Aha!" She exclaimed, "Its War!"

Before Zane realised, a Rikki still in her pyjamas had pounced on him and was pulling the warm blankets off of him.

"Arg! Rikki!" He exclaimed, she just laughed wrestling with him.

"Come on Sleepy Head, Time to start the day!"

By now Zane had his eyes open. "It's on!" He laughed and the two of the wrestled playfully until they landed on the floor, sheets and all.

After a few more moments of wrestling around, Zane claimed a kiss, ending their antics. After a brief pause Rikki playfully shoved Zane and dusted herself off.

"We'd better get to the café, we're already late in opening,"

She offered him her hand which he readily took.

After getting dressed and freshening up, Rikki and Zane made their way to the café and opened it for the day.

Lewis was also beginning the tasks of the day. The Marine Science Institute for which he worked was full of bustling people. He was walking down the docks to check the equipment on one of the Marine Institute's boats for a mission the next day. As he walked he stopped suddenly.

'It couldn't be…' Lewis thought.

He turned to examine his discovery.

"Oh No!" He said under his breath, "She's back!"

He turned his head down and resumed his walk which seemed to be endless.

"Lewis?" A familiar voice asked, "Is that you?"

He kept walking like he hadn't herd. Finally he got to the Institute's boat. What he didn't bank on was the fact that that certain person would follow him.

"Lewis, I know it's you," the woman said in a disapproving tone.

Lewis slowly turned round to greet the woman with the long blonde hair.

"Hello, Dr Denman, long time no see…"

"Like wise Lewis," she replied, "Five years?"

"Mhmm," He responded, an unrecognisable expression on his face. "What are you doing back around here?" he asked, trying to sound friendly.

"Fish counts, more coral analysis, a typical job along the coast. What are you doing these days Lewis?"

"I'm a Marine Biologist , I work at the Institute down the road."

"And how are the girls going?" She asked

"Great yeah, Cleo and I…" He stopped midsentence realising he was freely talking to their enemy.

"You realise Dr Denman…"

"Call me Linda" she interrupted,

"You realise ' Linda' that the girls are ordinary now - no need to interfere with their lives, and mine as well like last time."

"Oh, I realise, I was just genuinely curious,"

After a few more minutes of exchanging chatter, Lewis managed to get away without seeming rude to complete his original task. A lot was running through his mind.

During his lunch break Lewis decided to break the news to Cleo. When Cleo answered her phone because of having speaker ID she said, "Hey Lewis! How's your day going?" She asked brightly.

"Works good but..."he trailed off uncertainly.

"But what?" Cleo asked concerned, knowing by his tone that something was up.

"Ahh, I was hoping not to worry you..."

"Just spit it out already" she interrupted

"She's back!" Lewis blurted.

"Who's back? You have to be a little more specific than that," Cleo replied getting frustrated

"She's back! Denman's back!" he exclaimed.

"WHAT!"

"Yeah, you heard me right..." Lewis replied.

"What, How, Who, Which, Where and Why?" Cleo asked frantically, after a pause.

As Cleo talked to Lewis, Will was watching concerned, then he spied something glinting in the sunlight, something on her finger. As he focused on it, he took a step back with a gasp.

'An engagement ring' he thought, then 'Wait, how long have they been engaged and why haven't I noticed before?'

Cleo was still talking to Lewis with a weird expression on her face. Once she hung up she turned back to Will.

"That was Lewis" she said,

"I gathered that," Will said with a smirk

"Anyway," Cleo continued, "Our old enemy is back – Dr Denman!"

Will had never heard that name before; the girls never talked about past events often.

"Who's she?" he asked innocently,

"Just the Marine Biologist who...Oh sorry Will, I forget you weren't around then..." she said awkwardly.

"Congratulations." Will said out of the blue.

"Huh?" Cleo asked confused

"Your ring..."

"OH!" she said sheepishly.

"So when were you going to tell us? When did it happen?" He asked as they resumed their duties,

"Sorry, It was last night, the most romantic dinner..." she trailed off lost in her daydream.

"Cleo?" He said, waving a hand in front of her face.

"Oh yeah, Well this morning was so hectic, I really did mean to tell you guys. I'll tell everyone when we meet up after work." She said.

"All goods, Congrats by the way," Will replied.

"Thank you" Cleo said in a small voice and smiled. "Oh, Will, Bella and I discussed the living arrangements last night; I'll let Bella tell you the details."

"Okay..." he smiled back questioningly.