Chapter 41

Chapter 41

The living room of the Burrow was full of somber faces. Bill Weasley had arrived earlier to apprise them of the momentous events that had occurred at the Ministry that afternoon. At first the two Mrs. Weasleys and the very pregnant Mrs. Potter were very upset at the idea that Harry and Bill had been at the forefront of such a dangerous situation. The knowledge that both were safe alleviated most of the immediate concern but now it was a question of what condition Harry would be in when he arrived as promised. That Harry was responsible one way or another for the demise of the late and unlamented Mr. Malfoy was beyond question. How he was reacting to that responsibility was the concern of the moment. 

So it was that late in the afternoon the kitchen door swung open and a very despondent young man walked through. Ginny was in no condition to bolt from her seat to run to her husband but she was quick enough to see the look on Fleur's face who had looked at Harry and then to Ginny, questioning. Ginny smiled and nodded in Harry's direction. Fleur was up in an instant and swept into the kitchen to wrap Harry in her slender arms. Harry reacted slowly but then he was holding on as if his life depended on it. His face was buried in Fleur's shoulder and it appeared she was whispering something to him. 

Meanwhile, Mrs. Weasley was helping her daughter stand and they slowly moved towards the kitchen. Bill remained where he was, knowing Harry was getting all the support he needed for the moment. Fleur let go of Harry, as if she could sense Ginny's approach, and stood aside. Harry took hold of his wife and this time the shorter Ginny had her face in Harry's shoulder and he was resting his head on hers. Then he bought his face alongside her head and whispered something to her. She pulled her head back and looked into his clouded green eyes and he nodded. She pulled him tighter and held him for a few moments more. 

When they loosened their grip on each other she hooked his arm with hers and slowly walked him to a place on the couch in the living room. She gently sat down next to him and took hold of his arm once more. The others took their seats and looked at him expectantly. Harry looked into each face and then said, 

"I suppose Bill told you what happened?" he asked. 

They nodded and Bill added, 

"As much as I knew, Harry. Some of it wasn't entirely clear." 

Harry nodded in return and said, 

"Well, the most important thing is what he wouldn't have known. After he left to come here I went up to the Minister's office and resigned, effective immediately. I'm done," he said in a low, flat voice. 

It was clear Ginny already knew so her reaction was muted, merely laying her head on Harry's shoulder. Mrs. Weasley and Fleur were looking at him with wide eyes and Fleur's hand was covering her mouth. Bill said nothing, only nodded once. 

"Oh, Harry, my dear," Mrs. Weasley said. "I had so hoped this day would come but not like this. How are you holding up?" 

"I'm feeling a little numb at the moment. I suppose I should be getting back to school but I don't think I'm ready for that right now," he said. 

"You're staying put for the time being, Harry," Ginny said urgently. "You're in no condition to try Disapparating. In your state of mind you're likely to wind up stuck in the ground someplace. You can leave in the morning. Bill can let Professor McGonagall know what happened unless you need to stay over, big brother," Ginny said firmly. 

"I'm fine. It was more like being on the job at Gringotts for me. Harry did all the heavy work, as usual. I'll go back this evening, once I'm sure he's okay," Bill said. 

They all lapsed into silence at this point. Harry was just staring blankly into space while the others watched him. Shortly thereafter the kitchen door opened and Mr. Weasley hurried into the house.