Chapter 32

Chapter 32

Harry was sitting at the kitchen table in the Burrow looking at renderings of the proposed Potter house. Once Doctor Antimony had made the attempt to heal some of Harry's knee injuries, and failed, Harry's knee was wrapped in a heavy brace. Harry had explained the theory of the ancient magic resisting changes to Harry and the healer had found his efforts thwarted just as Madame Chevalier had when Harry and Fleur had visited Beauxbaton. As the healer was leaving he couldn't help but express his dismay at the idea of magic that could keep the killing curse at bay but couldn't deflect a chunk of errant debris. Harry could only shrug and smile. 

Now he was sitting with the chair placed sideways to the table, his injured and braced leg propped up on a stool-like support that Mr. Weasley had whipped up in his shop. Harry was impressed at the workmanship. Apparently his 'dad' had hidden depths. What had his attention at the moment were pictures of the house that Ginny and Abagail, with some input from Harry, or so he thought, had put together. Harry looked at his wife who was sitting across the table from him. 

"Um, love, isn't this a bit larger than what we had been discussing? This looks more like a lord's manor or something." 

"I think your exaggerating a bit, Harry. Some of those places go to four stories; this is only two with an attic. I know what you've said in the past, sweetheart, but try to understand my reasoning. We've talked about three kids, so that means four bedrooms. I want to have at least two guestrooms plus we need to make accommodations for Abagail if she continues to live with us after she graduates, which all things considered I think is a good possibility. Then there's the bathrooms, a library for you, living room, dining room and a good sized kitchen so Kreacher can keep up with the cooking." 

"Whoa, whoa. What do you mean, library? I just need a small study," Harry objected. 

"No, my dear, your collection of books is already starting to crowd your study at home so I have to plan for a lifetime of collecting and reading. We'll need to have room for the kids so they won't be underfoot and for you to have friends and family around. Remember what I said about you needing them around you," she said and her tone turned serious. "Harry, do you love me?" 

"Of course I do, more than my own life," he said quietly. 

"I appreciate the sentiment, Harry, but please don't put it that way. And I love you, more than I ever thought it would be possible all those nights I used to dream about being Mrs. Harry Potter. I want you to have this, my dear man, because you deserve it. You deserve a home that is comfortable and full of love and life and laughter," she said as she held up a picture that showed a three quarter view of the proposed house. "This is it. I realize it isn't my money that is going to build it but at least I'll have felt that I've had a big part in designing it so it will seem like I'm giving it to you." 

"Actually, Gin, half the money will be yours since half of what I have became yours the moment we said 'I do'. But I understand what you're saying. It's just that it's not really me, you know." 

"Yes, I know, Harry. And that's one of the things I love most about you but if you trust me and let me have my way in this I can assure you, you'll be very happy with how it all works out," she said earnestly. 

Harry leaned back a bit to look over his shoulder towards his 'mum' who was working in the kitchen. 

"What do you think, Mum? Is what Ginny is saying making sense to you?" 

"A great deal in fact, Harry. I wasn't going to say anything about it, but since you ask, I think what she has in mind is right on the mark. You'll need the room and you deserve the amenities. As to the cost, that's something that you need to decide for yourselves, but you've been very generous with what has come to you, Harry. I can't imagine anyone thinking the worse of you for making this kind of investment in yourselves and your family. Not that it should matter anyway," she said.