Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Harry was sitting in his accustomed place for a warm summer day at the Burrow. A comfortable if somewhat worn chaise lounge was positioned to catch the morning and early afternoon sun but avoid the more intense late afternoon heat. After the first two weeks at his new 'home' Doctor Elsewhere from St. Mungo's had been out to see him and was satisfied enough with Harry's recovery that he allowed him an hour in the morning and again in the afternoon for walks in the fields and nearby woods but at a measured pace and no extracurricular activities. He was still strictly forbidden to fly a broom or engage in any manner of magic. In fact, his wand, which he hadn't seen since his collapse, had been 'confiscated' and was being held in trust by persons unknown, according to Mrs. Weasley. Harry suspected that it was safely locked away in Dumbledore's office. Truth be told, he wasn't particularly concerned about it. It would only be a temptation if it was around and he was honest enough with himself to know where he stood where temptations were concerned. 

So Harry sat and rested after his latest afternoon walk, the sun just passing behind a large tree on the edge of the garden so that cooling shade was now enveloping his chair. With his eyes closed he could hear the rustling of the garden gnomes in the hedges on the garden perimeter and the swooshing of Ginny zipping back and forth over the fields surrounding the Burrow. Harry's new Firebolt was likewise under wraps to avoid any interruptions in his recovery. It arrived a day after he settled in at the Burrow, a gift from the Nimbus Broomstick company.  

As promised, Harry was prepared to get Ginny a new broom to replace the one lost to the school 'goon' squad. After several days of intense negotiations, Harry finally persuaded Ginny that it was okay to accept such an expensive present based on 'accumulated past opportunities lost'. Harry was especially proud of this line of reasoning. They had agreed on a Nimbus 2001, the same type that Harry had lost to the Whomping Willow several years ago. It was still a top notch broom outclassed only by the Firebolt and the rumored Firebolt II, "Potter Special Edition" that was due for release early next year. Harry was a bit dubious about the rumor since no one had come to him to ask for permission to use his name but he wasn't going to worry about it at this point. All he had to do was close his eyes and remember the look on Ginny's face when the new broom arrived and the long breathless dissertation she delivered on the broom's virtues after her first long test flight. 

The last swish was lower and louder followed by a rustle of grass as she brought the broom in for a landing. She rushed over and knelt on the grass next to Harry. Her face was flushed and her smile was broad. 

"Oh, Harry. I just can't get over how great this broom is. It's so fast and turns on a knut. I almost threw myself off twice," she said, laughing. 

Harry chuckled and added, 

"Don't let your mum hear that. But I know what you mean, I almost came adrift a few times on mine." 

"The thing is, Harry, it's fun zipping and zooming around but it's not really helping me get ready for this year's team. I need to be working with a quaffle. I had so hoped you'd be able to practice with me." 

"Yeah, it has been pretty inconvenient. I can't even stand on the ground and throw you the quaffle, you'd be too low. If I could use magic it would be easy but....wait a minute, I've had a thought." 

He looked toward the house and said, 

"Kreacher, I need to speak to you, please." 

There was a pop as the house elf appeared at Harry's side. 

"Yes, Master Harry. What may Kreacher do for Master Harry?" 

"Kreacher, I'd like you to help me with something if you would. I want to help Ginny practice for Quidditch but since I can't fly or use magic to toss the quaffle high enough I can't do much. Would you mind using your magic to throw the ball high enough so Ginny can practice catching and throwing it while flying."