Chapter 34

Chapter 34

Harry sat with Ginny at a table set aside for part of the Weasley clan. The reception for Percy and Audrey was starting to wind down. It had been a pleasant affair held at a small hall that Audrey's parents had arranged for. Harry's leg had precluded any attempt at dancing so he was forced to watch from the sidelines but other than that it had been an enjoyable day. He could see the newlywed couple making the rounds of the tables while Ginny and Fleur had their heads close, chatting mostly about what other people were wearing. 

Harry had been receiving a number of visits to the table from various well wishers who hadn't seen him since his injury. Many of the comments for a fast recovery contained varying degrees of suggestions that maybe it was time for a career change. Harry accepted them with good grace but it was starting to wear on him a bit. As he was watching the newlyweds he noticed Percy whisper to his new wife and then make a straight line for Harry. Percy pulled up a vacant chair and sat down next Harry, his expression that of any typical new husband. 

"Harry, I don't know how you managed it all with that big wedding you had. If I have to shake one more hand, I think my arm is going to come off." 

"Yeah, you do get numb after a while, don't you?" Harry replied with a smile. 

"There is something I need to talk to you about though and I figure I'm in safe territory at this table. It's about the dragon business," Percy said looking uncomfortable. 

"What's the problem, Perc?" 

"I haven't told Audrey about you yet. I just never got around to it after we got engaged and now if I do I'm afraid she's going to be upset that I was holding it to myself." 

"Hmm, yeah, I can see where that might cause some problems. I'll tell you what. If we can manage some time tonight or in the very near future I'll tell her and I'll take the blame for not letting you tell her yet." 

"Are you sure you want to do that? Especially after all the grief you took from Eleanor," Percy said with some dismay. 

"It's not really the same thing, plus I think I can explain it away easier than you could. I'll take care of it, don't worry," Harry said with a smile. 

"Thanks, Harry. I'm sorry to drop this on you, but this is a bit outside the newlywed experience for revealing family secrets," Percy said, his expression a mix of relief and humor. 

So it was as the reception wound to a close Percy and Audrey came over to sit with Harry, Ginny, Fleur, Bill, Eleanor and Charlie. After some cursory comments about what a great day it had been and what plans did the new couple have for the honeymoon and living accommodations, Harry coughed a bit and then looked at his new sister-in-law. 

"Audrey, now that you are an official member of the Weasley clan, it's time you were brought into a select group of secret keepers," Harry said in his quiet, serious voice. 

"Alright. What is it? A mad uncle in the attic?" she asked. 

"No, although that might be something your kids have to look forward to. It involves me. You see, Audrey, I'm an unregistered animagus." 

"Really, Harry? Isn't it against the law to be unregistered? Kind of an odd spot for you considering your job," she said, obviously surprised. 

"Yes, it is. But the Minister is aware of it and feels the need for secrecy and me staying on the job outweighed the legal questions. But that's not all. The animal I become is something unusual." 

"Okay. Well, I'm listening," she said. 

"I become a rather large, dark green dragon," Harry said.