Chapter 21

Chapter 21

In the weeks left before Christmas, Harry had conducted his one-on-one interviews with the former DA members. It was an interesting experience for him since his only official interactions with his former classmates had been with Ron and the one brief meeting with Alicia Spinnet. He didn't consider the wedding reception official. All were enthusiastic about having been earmarked for possible movement into the Aurors although Anthony Goldstein had indicated he would be more interested in the Magical Investigative Unit as opposed to the Tactical Squad. 

Harry's interview with Parvati Patil was a bit uncomfortable for Harry until he broached a topic that had bothered him every once in a while over the years. He sat behind his desk looking at the young woman who had been his date to the TriWizard Tournament Ball all those years ago. She was quite excited about the opportunity to move up. Near the end of the discussion Harry looked at her with a slight half grin. 

"You know, Parvati, I don't know if I ever said it to you or not, but if I didn't I will now. I'm sorry for my ridiculous behavior at the TriWizard Tournament Ball. I treated you really badly that night and you didn't deserve that." 

She looked startled but recovered quickly. 

"It's really nice that you thought to say that, um, Harry..sir." 

"Harry's fine at the moment." 

"I'll admit that I was kind of upset that night. All the girls thought that it was so great that I was going to the Ball with you. A few days later Ginny explained it all to me though. She said with all the stuff going on that you had to deal with you were, well, I guess confused was the best way to put it," Parvati said with a smile. "But thanks for being concerned." 

Harry just smiled and nodded and then they finished with the business at hand. He also had to work out sending some of Milligan's people to Paris to confer with the French investigators on what they had been uncovering. The more they uncovered about the conspiracy the more there seemed to be going on. It nagged at Harry that perhaps Voldemort and his Death Eaters were just a local element of something much bigger and more dangerous. He intended to have Milligan broach the idea of contacting the Albanian magical community to try and get some idea of what might have gone on while Voldemort was in hiding there. 

In between all this, Harry, now with Ginny's help, had been working on his Christmas list. After his first Christmas of giving what some would consider elaborate gifts Harry was now concentrating on things that had a more personal touch, trying to match something to each of his family that had special meaning or application in their lives. He hadn't been able to do any gift giving last year as he was just beginning his recovery from the clash with the dragon. So as the special day approached he was looking forward to the barely controlled mayhem that was the Burrow during a holiday. 

His first holiday task was to collect Abagail from the Hogwarts Express for the break. He was standing on the platform waiting for her to get off the train. Ginny was in Holyhead for the last match before the holiday season. Soon a familiar, if diminutive, figure appeared in the doorway of the train carriage and her face lit up in a smile as she saw Harry waiting for her. She used her small size to advantage, darting and ducking among the many students and parents on the platform to make her way to Harry. She threw herself into Harry's arms. 

"Welcome home, little one." 

"It's great to be home, Harry. Are we staying at your house tonight or are we going right to the Burrow?" she asked excitedly in her airy voice. 

"First of all, it's 'our' house now, Abagail and second, we are stopping at the house and then we're taking the Floo Network to the Burrow. We'll be staying there until after Christmas. What's all this?" he asked as he looked down at the canvas carry bag that Abagail had slung over one shoulder.