Chapter 35

Chapter 35

Harry sat on the examination table with his left leg stretched out in front of him. Doctor Antimony was conducting the examination with both his wand and his fingers. His face was a mask of concentration but otherwise gave nothing away. He finally stepped away and made some notes on a chart and then sat down on a stool next to the table and looked at Harry. 

"The swelling is just about all gone, Mr. Potter. I've finally gotten a thorough look at the damage and it's fairly extensive. Both the ligaments and tendons show signs of tears and there are cartilage and bone fragments floating around in there. I'm afraid with the time that has lapsed and the residual effects of your protective magic, I'm unable to offer you any help. You're going to have to seek out a muggle surgeon if you want to have any hope of using that leg normally." 

"Do you think that my mother's protective magic might prevent surgery from working?" Harry asked. 

"I really have no idea, Mr. Potter. But since the injury occurred by ordinary means, that is getting hit with something hard, I'm inclined to doubt it. My guess would be it's just protection from certain kinds of magic. Do you think you'll have any trouble finding someone to help you?" Doctor Antimony asked. 

"Personally, I don't know of anyone, but I'll ask my friend Hermione. Her parents are both muggle dentists. They might have some contacts that could be of help," Harry replied. 

"Very good. As for now, you can switch to this lighter brace that can be worn under a looser pair of trousers and use a cane for support. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help to you." 

"You've been a great help, sir. I appreciate everything you've done for me," Harry said with a genuine smile. 

The healer smiled back and then showed Harry how to use the brace. Once they were both satisfied he was comfortable with it, Doctor Antimony shook hands with Harry and then left him to get changed. Harry used his crutches and made his way out to the waiting room where Ginny and Fleur were waiting. They both looked up with questioning glances as he moved to meet them. 

"The healer was able to get a good look this time and it's as big a mess as he first thought. He said it will require a muggle surgeon to fix it. I'm going to ask Hermione tomorrow if her parents might know of someone or how to look for one. He gave me a different brace to use that my pants leg will cover and I can use a cane instead of these things. Guess I won't be racing up and down the corridors at Hogwarts this year," he said with a grin. 

Both of the young women were now standing and Ginny hugged Harry as best she could with the crutches in the way and Fleur added an arm around his shoulders. Then with one on each side they escorted him out of the hospital towards a waiting car that returned them to the Black house. 

Despite the bad news about his knee Harry and Ginny snuggled up on the back seat contentedly. The still secret knowledge that they were going to be parents kept them afloat on a cloud of joy. They decided to confirm her condition before making the announcement so while Harry was busy at the Ministry the next day, she would make a visit to the midwife that delivered little Fred. When they got home the three made their way up the stairs and Kreacher bowed them through the open door. They went into the parlor and Harry sat down with his leg propped up. Fleur and Ginny took seats in separate chairs and Fleur said, 

"So 'arry, do you think that you will 'ave any deeficulty at 'ogwarts with your leg?" 

"I think I'll be able to manage, Fleur. They have me in first floor classrooms and I can always have a bunch of students haul me around if my leg gets too bad," he said with a straight face. "Or maybe Professor Flitwick can charm a chair for me that will float me around the school."