Chapter 20

Chapter20

Harry sat at the faculty table in the Great Hall at Hogwarts awaiting the arrival of the new batch of first years. Only a few weeks prior he was sitting in nearly the same spot as a newlywed groom looking out over the hundreds of family and friends and other guests who had shared what he considered to be the most magical day in his young life. Today he was here as a representative of the Ministry of Magic to announce the new intern program that would offer this year's sixth year students a chance to gain experience and exposure at the Ministry and get paid for it. 

As he looked out over the second through seventh years he recognized the now fourth years that he had taught during his last year including his legal ward, Abagail Westwood, who sat half way up the Ravenclaw table. Her lack of stature was becoming more pronounced as the others in her year were growing taller. But that smallish body housed an enormous talent, the depths of which Harry wondered if they would ever fully understand. But she seemed happy. Her summer was spent largely at the Burrow under the watchful and loving eye of Mrs. Weasley with a lot of help from Fleur. 

She must have sensed Harry looking at her because she leaned back a bit and looked up at him, giving him a shy smile and a wave. He replied in kind. He had already shared greetings with the staff and faculty and he was anxious to see the introduction of the new crop of witches and wizards in training. 

Professor McGonagall rose from her seat and walked to the podium at the front of the dais. She rapped the gavel lightly to get everyone's attention. 

"Welcome back to another year at Hogwarts," she began. "I trust everyone has had a happy and healthy summer break and you return to us ready for another challenging year of learning. In a moment we will invite our first year students to join us and be selected for their houses but first I would like to acknowledge the presence of one of Hogwarts favorite graduates who is here today to announce an exciting new program at the Ministry of Magic that he will discuss with us after we conclude the feast. I am speaking of course of Mr. Harry Potter." 

The applause was thunderous. He acknowledged this with a broad smile and wave. His wife Ginny and his 'big sister' Fleur both tried to impress upon him how important it was to politely acknowledge whatever demonstrations of appreciation or recognition that were offered. His natural tendency to try and downplay such things or show embarrassment only served to hurt peoples' feelings, they insisted. Harry was beginning to understand that the despised and unwanted child that lived all those years in the Dursleys' home had evolved into a beloved public figure and justifiably so. 

"Yes, yes, if you would settle down please, it is time to welcome our new class of students. Professor Sprout, if you would, please." 

The stout Herbology professor and assistant Headmistress led a line of amazed, bemused and in some cases, most likely muggle born, frightened eleven year old boys and girls down the aisle between the Gryffindor and Ravenclaw table to stand before the dais and confront that standard of Hogwarts life, the Sorting Hat. The battered old wizard's hat sat on its stool waiting to be placed atop the head of each new student to determine to which of the four houses the child would spend his or her next seven years. Harry recalled his encounter with the aged and much repaired hat and how important his first real act as a wizard and Hogwarts student really was. 

As tradition dictated before the sorting began the Hat sang a song that it spent the preceding year composing while sitting on a shelf in the Head's office. It encouraged all the students to work hard so they would be prepared to be part of the ongoing work to make the wizarding world a better place than it had been and to remember that humans were not the only magic users. Harry was surprised at this. Apparently it must have heard about Hermione's and his efforts. Then it went silent awaiting the first child.