Just Like That

Your POV:

"Over the course of her professional career, Y/N Brian has represented Chicago, Houston, Boston, Atlanta and now Orlando. She's played in Portugal for Sporting Clube de Portugal, and in England with Tottenham. She's scored many goals for all clubs here and in Europe and is a 4-time NWSL Champion. Today as she plays her final home game this season, we thank Y/N for her hard work not only for the Orlando Pride, but for the NWSL, and women's soccer across the world."

The crowd applauded. 

"Please join us in thanking an NWSL legend, our captain Y/N Brian." 

I waved to all of them. Everyone was on their feet. 

My last home game with Orlando today against Houston. It was bittersweet. 

"Y/N, thank you for all the exciting moments in this league. From all of us in the Orlando Pride community as well as the entire NWSL family, we wish you the best of luck on your next adventure."

I smiled and walked back into line. "Not gonna say anything?"

"Was I supposed to?" Everyone nodded. They put a microphone in my hand. "Oh man. Uh, I didn't know I was gonna have to speak. If I knew that I would've rethought this whole retirement thing." I laughed. "You are all thanking me for everything I did throughout my time in the NWSL and my days in Europe, but now I want to thank you. Everyone here today, everyone watching at home throughout the states, in Europe, Australia wherever you are in the world right now, thank you. Without you all of you this league wouldn't be where it is today. None of the leagues would. You guys, the fans are the reason we have the opportunity to put on a jersey and come out here every day and do what we love. I know I'm speaking for a lot of players when I say keep supporting us. Yeah, we've come a long way from 2015, but our work is not done. We still have to fight every day."

I gave the microphone back. We shook hands with the Houston players. There were a few hugs along the line. 

"Fans please stay after the game for one last goodbye to Y/N Brian." 

No one's POV:

"A bittersweet day here in Orlando as the NWSL says goodbye to one of their biggest stars. Y/N Brian was drafted by the Chicago Red Stars in 2020 but didn't get the start she hoped for. After a move to Houston, her career quickly took over. Now at 29 years old, with 3 kids and years of experience, Y/N Brian plays her final NWSL home game. The Pride will be in the playoffs but will be on the road. And now the lineups first for Houston."

Morgan's POV:

The game was entertaining. Orlando was winning 2-1. The goal that is currently the game winner scored by Y/N. Of course.

"The 4th official has indicated that the referee will be adding a minimum of 2 minutes."

The crowd got loud.

"Come on Y/N!" Kelley stood up. Atlanta played yesterday so she came right here.

"KEVIN JR!" Sam yelled. "Yeah no. Can't do that." She sighed. "Sorry Kev, there's only one you."  

Time ticked away. She got the ball and raced down the field.

"Y/N!" Fans started screaming. She took one last shot. 

"GOALLLLLLLL ORLANDO PRIDE!" She jumped into the air. "ORLANDO PRIDE GOAL SCORED IN THE 90TH MINUTE BY #10!!! Y/N BRIAN!"

She stood on the field and everyone ran to her. 

The game restarted and then the final whistle was blown. 

Cari walked across the field to Y/N and just gave her a big hug. 

Your POV:

"I'm gonna miss you, my friend." Cari asked.

"Same here."

"Been one hell of a ride." I felt hands on my shoulders. 

"Sonnett. Shouldn't you be in Atlanta?" 

"Everyone else played yesterday, so we all decided to come here, say what's good." Mal smiled. "Plus our best friend is retiring how could we miss that?" She hugged me.

"We played a few games together but those were some of the best." Catley laughed. "Congrats my friend." 

Players from all teams came onto the field. Friends, enemies, rookies I've never even met before.

"Ladies and gentlemen if you would please turn your attention to midfield. The commissioner of the NWSL, Christie Rampone."

"Hello Orlando. As you see on the field, players from all NWSL teams. Throughout the long season, these ladies play against each other, but once the whistle is blown they all return to being friends. With the help of fans from all teams, the players have put together a message for Y/N."

I looked up to the screen. "Y/N Brian. That kid was a headache." Pinoe smirked. "But she was a headache that you could deal with for so long and really not mind. Does that make sense?"

"No." Crystal said.

"It will to Y/N." 

I laughed.

"Where do I start." Sam sighed. "I played against her for years, played with her 0 times, but I feel like I could go to her and she'll have my back no matter what." 

"She's scored on me probably 20 times I think? Which isn't something to be bringing up as a goalkeeper but it shows how good of a player Y/N is." Kailen Sheridan said.

"20 times? She got me 25." Sabrina D'Angelo added.

"She got me 30 times." Steph Labbé said quietly.

"Well guess I'm better than you both." 

"Easy."

"I'm expected to say something nice cause she's my daughter." Hope said. "But as two players, that kid was difficult. She scored on me in her first professional game! First game as a pro, she scores on me. The best goalkeeper ever." She smiled. "I was proud." 

"Y/N Solo-O'Hara." Julie laughed. "One of my favorite humans on this planet. Honestly. Can't say anything bad about her, she's a good player, mother, daughter, friend, all around amazing human being."

"Y/N is a special kind of player." Morgan smiled. "I would be having a bad game and I'd see her on the field and just immediately change. She was a game changer in Houston."

"Same in Boston." Julie King said. "Even though her time there was short, she impacted all of us is such a big way."  

"I'm just happy she's gonna be moving out of my basement now." Ashlyn said. Ali laughed. "Like get out of my basement." 

"What do you want to say to your mom?" AJ and Colton were on the screen.

"We're gonna miss seeing you on the field but we're happy you'll be home now." AJ said.

"You and mama are our heroes."

Thank you Y/N.

I look down at the field. "That was adorable." Emily wiped a tear from her eye.

"ARE YOU CRYING!" Mal yelled.

"AREN'T YOU!?"

I shook my head and walked off the field. Everyone clapped as I headed towards the locker room.

And just like that, my career was over.

Do you want some more chapters or the epilogue? Spoiler alert, epilogue ain't done yet.