A New Ending

Days passed.

Days turned into a week.

Christine ate little, and the poor boy's tried their best to console her. But she was broken. She loved her little sons, doing her best to give them the happiness and keep them in the dark of where their father was.

But she could hide little from Gustave.

He had found the letter on his own, and stormed into the bed room furious. Then he held his mother close as she cried.

Erik was the true angel. He made sure they never went hungry and didn't charge them to stay in his hotel. Erik never touched Christine, or said anything against her husband for what he had done. He was an angel.

"Maman?" Gustave said, touching her arm. "Erik is here."

Christine stood up, "Thank you," she murmured and kissed his cheek softly.

"Maman... are you going to marry him?"

"M-marry Erik?" Christine stuttered. "I cannot! I am married....." which only made her cry.

"He left you!" Gustave said fiercely, "And I know you love Papa."

Christine furrowed her brow... then she realized he had called Erik his "papa."

"I do not know, Gustave." And she walked into the next room. "Erik." Christine said softly as he took her hand and kissed it.

"How are you today?" He said, turning serious.

Christine wrapped her arms around him, burring her head into his chest. Erik was quick to embrace her, kissing her hair.

"I want... I want to divorce him."

Erik's eyes widened, "Divorce?" He gasped, "Divorce is not something to take lightly, Christine." It was true, breaking of holy matrimony was very rare and should not ever happen. But Christine felt no other choice.

"Raoul and I have both been unfaithful. We cannot live- I cannot live like this!" Christine clutched the lapels of Erik's ebony coat. The look in his intense blue and golden gaze was almost fearful. "I want to marry you, Erik. Please... let me divorce him and let us marry."

Erik brought his lips to Christine's and held her close. "It appears I can do everything..." he murmured against her mouth.

"What?" Christine smiled. "What are you rambling about?"

"Now I can marry you."

"But will you?"

"Oh Christine... if you were not so beautiful I would be furious at that question."

~~~~

Weeks turned into months.

Christine had written Raoul a letter explaining that she did not loath him- or Meg- for their unfaithfulness. She felt he deserved to know that she too, had been unfaithful. Divorce papers were acquired and signed, and in weeks time, Raoul's papers came back. They were now legally divorced. The thought should have disgusted Christine- but she only felt bliss. Now she and angel could marry! But something inside of her broke and wept for the little blonde boy at the house by the sea who had fetched her red scarf and called her Little Lotte.