The Longing Taste of Forgetfulness

Erik didn't sleep that night.

How could he? After what he had done only a few hours ago.

Christine was just so divine in that scarlet gown, and the simple nearness of her made his whole body quiver with want.

And then he sent her away.

Still terrified to have her at his commanded, terrified to have her.

And their son, Gustave. He was intelligent, musical, and...beautiful! Erik smiled at the thought of him. Was it possible to be so proud of someone you hardly knew? Someone you were responsible for yet never knew of his existence? Erik truly was a monster for leaving his dearest, beloved Christine alone. He began to wonder how things would be if he and Christine had eloped to America, together. They could have raised Gustave together, and possibly more children!

Erik slipped into his bed and beneath his covers, not bothering to change. He removed his mask in the darkness and set it aside as he began to drift off into the world of dreams...a smile on his lips.

_________

Maman returned home very late that night.

Gustave rushed to her once the door opened and pulled her into an embrace. Instead of wrapping her arms around her son, she let out a painful cry. Gustave tore away from her, "Maman what is wrong?" His brow was furrowed in concern.

Christine bit her lip and hugged Gustave gently, kissing his curls. "It is not you, my son....I am just very..." she struggled to find the word. "Sore."

Gustave's jaw tensed. "Oh."

Christine pulled away and smiled at her eldest son. "Do not fret, it is nothing serious. Where is your father?"

Gustave pointed to the bedroom, "In there. Enzo is with him." His maman gave him another smile and made her way into the attached bedroom.

Gustave followed her in.

"Oh Christine," His father stuttered out. "We've been worried. Where have you been?" He rose from the chair he sat in and took Maman's hand.

Maman went pale and Gustave saw her eyes shift. What ever she had been doing, she was ashamed of it. Gustave feel himself tense all over.

"Just rehearsing, my love." She pecked his cheek and pulled her hand out of his grasp. "I am doing to bathe and dress in something a little more comfortable."

She took a grabbed something from her drunk and made her way into the small bathroom.

Father shook his head. "I will never understand your mother and her music. It is the only thing she really loves."

"Maman loves us!" Cried Enzo from the boys' bed. Gustave wanted to smile, but he couldn't.

"No, Enzo. She does not love us like she loves music." Father replied, and then in a hushed whisper, "Like she loved him."

"Don't listen to father, Enzo. Maman loves us very much." Gustave found himself saying and glaring deeply at his father.

"There is a lot your mother hasn't told you, Gustave. If you knew them, then you wouldn't defend her." His father glared right back before stepping out to grab what Gustave assumed was brandy.

"Enzo, time for bed." Gustave said and tucked his younger brother beneath the sheets. He sang Enzo a soft lullaby before he quickly feel asleep.

Gustave grabbed his coat and left the room.

"Now where are you going?" His half intoxicated father asked him.

"Fresh air. I'll be quick."

And Gustave laced his arms through the coat and left into the twilight.

***

Sorry this was so short!! I promise a longer next chapter... also some amazing plot twists. You will find that this is not (Lord) Andrew Lloyd Webber's LND. Our Story is about to take a turn...