Love Never Dies

Lights beamed down at her, illuminating every physical flaw and soon to be every vocal flaw. Thousands of eyes watched her from the seating, thousands of unfamiliar Americans all judging her. Yes, Christine sang in France to gain extra money for their family, but this?

  This was different.

It was different because her Angel would be here. Suddenly, her performance must be perfect. Otherwise, he would be angry and regret bringing her hear. Christine wanted to impress him, wanted him to love her voice.

She was terrified. What if he was disappointed? His disappointment was worse then anything else.

The orchestra faded out instead of continuing and Christine panicked. Had she simply just stood there the whole aria?

No.... people were applauding. Screaming her name.

Christine's lips curled up slightly, and she began to sing. The sound was pitch perfect, thanks to Erik's many teachings, but what she focused on was the passion. The emotion.

She couldn't seem to find that place... if only she could see him. Christine's eyes darted across the concert hall, looking for a masked man that she loved so dearly, singing with all her heart.

But she couldn't seem him....

She missed a line, suddenly not caring, and paused for the interlude.

Her eyes gazed at the stage to her right, expecting to see Madame Giry or a stage hand. But instead....

It was Erik. His hand touching the siding, his lips parted as he gazed at her in awe.

Something swelled in Christine's chest as she saw him, and turned to face front, singing with everything she had- her heart, her soul, and every ounce of love she possessed.

Never before had she sung with such power- such passion! It was the most wonderful feeling Christine had felt! Her music soared through the air.... flying high above those who sat in the seats, they were on their feet, sobbing as Christine sung. They loved her! She had triumphed! Erik loved her. Erik-

Erik was singing with her.

He had not been through most of it, but he was certainly now.

"Love lives on....." they sang in a beautiful harmony.

The stage lights faded out and the crowd screamed her name, Christine was beaming. Not for their approval but because she had made her angel happy. She had pleased him!! Her heart pounded against her rib cage as she bowed again and again, her smile luminous on the dark stage.

~~~

Back in her dressing room, Christine felt more in love and more connected to humanity and heaven than ever before. It was a strange feeling, a peace. She could go home with her husband and sons and be happy with who she was. Erik would always be a part of her- he loved her and was pleased with her. And Christine could die knowing she had tasted all the love the world could offer.

What she truly wanted to do was find her little boys- and a note on her dresser read:

Dearest Maman

You sounded like an angel, Enzo and I cried for the loveliness of it. I must take him home to the hotel now so he may sleep, and I will be awake when you return.

All the love,
Your sons (Gustave and Enzo)

A little misshapen heart was drawn at the corner, and Christine smiled knowing it was Enzo's.

But another note caught her eye, and she suddenly remembered that Raoul had not rushed into her dressing room. Nor did Gustave's letter say anything about him...

Christine opened the note and her vision blurred as she read the words in Raoul's beautiful cursive. Her hearty stopped and she couldn't breath, the world seemed to fade away.

It was as if she was not apart of her body but rather watching it as she ran down, down flights of stairs and dark corners. Twists and turns, tripping on her dress but standing again. Trying to remember her way...

Christine flung the door open to reveal Erik's office and revealing Erik sitting at his desk- mask and all- smiling. But it faded as he saw her.

"Christine?" His brow furrowed, "Christine!" Erik stood and rushed to her, and Christine collapsed in his arms.

"R-Raoul... he- he's gone! My husband has left me!"