The Bride and the Ghost

Disclaimer: I do not own PotO nor LND.

Please vote, comment, and READ ON.

"Annette?" Christine gasped in shock, her face turning as white as a ghost.

Her maid gave her a scolding glance. "Come, miss. We must hurry," Annette's tone was laced in a dangerous fear, and she grasped Christine's trembling hand.

"But...I...cannot...Erik..." Christine mumbled like a madwoman.

"Forgive my informality, but we must make haste," the seriousness in the girls eyes was so intense, it made Christine's small hands tremble even more so.

Christine nodded, and in a dreamlike state, followed Annette out of the Drunkin Pig Inn.

She did not look back at the horrid place as Annette helped her into one of Raoul's carriages. Christine did not turn her head to glance behind at that wretched, wonderful place---the place she had made love to her angel.

Oh God, Christine prayed. Where is he?

"Where are you taking me?" Christine asked, her voice a horse whisper.

Annette did not meet her eyes.

"Your wedding."

Christine had forgotten...it couldn't possibly be...

"My what?" She shrieked in fear.

Raoul....darling, sweet Raoul...he would not marry her now. She was damaged.

Christine would not marry him. Her heart belonged to another---and she had promised herself to him in more than just words...in her virtues.

"No, I shan't marry him!" Christine's eyes blazed with anger.

Annette stared at her, fear evident on her gentle face.

"You mustn't say that, miss. Please, I beseech you!" Her maid gripped her cold hands. "After all the trouble I have done to hide what you..." Annette clamped a hand on her mouth.

"What do you know?" Christine's voice was a deathly low, and she begged for an answer.

Annette uncovered her mouth.

"The ghost..." She whispered. "Your lover." Annette's eyes bore into
Christine's.

"I know it all."

~~~

Christine groaned as the strings of her corset pulled tighter.

"You cannot make me do this," Christine spoke, a breathy whisper.

The Vicomtesse's velvety red lips twisted.

"Oh, my dear," she purred. "But I can."

She took a step closer to Christine.

"My darling Raoul loves you, despite his better judgment. And what have you done in return? You have been a very naughty girl..." The Vicomtesse clicked her tongue and grabbed Christine's chin, forcing Christine to stare into the Vicomtesse's snakelike eyes.

A sob interrupted them, coming from behind Christine.

"Oh, do shut up!" The Vicomtesse's screeched at Annette, who was dressing Christine.

Annette was completely undone ever since she had brought Christine to the church. The Vicomtesse had instructed her to follow Christine and report back. Annette had told her every detail.