Ships and other annoying human made things

So so so sorry about short chapter. Love you all. I don't own this.

The trip was a horror within a nightmarish hell upon the god-forsaken blue sea of a devil.

At least, that's how papa described it.

Gustave, on the other hand, found the whole affair exhilarating. He and Enzo roamed the deck of the large English ship, pretending to be all sorts of make-believe fantasies. Pirates, playmates, and even phantoms!

And America---oh America!

  The first sight Gustave saw of the country was a giant green blur. As the ship plowed forward, and his youthful eyes began to focus, he saw it was a statue of a woman holding a  torch, a gold flame seemed truly to flicker.

  A gentle hand laid on his shoulder, and a sweet, warm, voice filled his ear with a whisper.

"The Statue of Liberty, " it murmured dream-like. "a gift from our own country."

Gustave turned his head to see his maman.

  She wore a ruby-colored coat, brass buttons gleaming. Her hat was the same color, a white peregrine feather attached to it. She looked as elegant as Gustave had ever seen her.

She smiled as if they shared a great secret, and winked brightly at him.

Removing her hand, maman walked---no, not walked--glided over the deck as if she could float, to his father.

"Darling," she said in her bright tone. "We are almost there."

"Hang it! Hang all of it!" Papa grumbled, his face pale and sickly.

She pressed her well-shaped pink lips to his cheek and presently moved toward Enzo, who stood on a bar of the railing.

"Get down from there," she chuckled, pulling him off and setting him down upon the stained wood. "Lest you should fall and be eaten by a great fish!"

Enzo gave her a toothy smile.

Gustave smiled softly, a crooked sort of smile that only reaches one side of the mouth, making it look lopsided.

  He wished to remove the bread colored coat he wore, it was cumbersome and aggravating. His brow was wetted in sweat, or perhaps it was just the spray of the sea.