Alass, Disagreeable

Disclaimer: I do not own POTO. Love it with all my heart, tho!

Please comment, and enjoy!

     Christine was very disagreeable.

Not that she meant to be, for indeed she tried very hard to be most agreeable. But, to her great misfortune, Christine could not be the slightest bit charming.

The green table cloth reminded her of vomit, which stole away her appetite almost instantaneously after taking her usual seat, the second chair on the right. The candles which lit the grand dinning hall reminded her all to well of the fire that had almost destroyed the Opera Populaire, her home.

This thought is what made Christine want to melt away and hide under the vomit colored table cloth. And that thought had almost made her laugh.

Afraid of candles, she thought quietly to herself. You must be going mad.

And indeed Christine did believe she must be going mad, for when Raoul took his usual seat, the first chair on the right, and gave her his ever present warm smile, she did not smile back.

This took poor Raoul off guard, and his usual charm slipped as he furrowed his brow at her in question. Christine wished she could explain the strange disagreeable feeling inside her. She was about to attempt when the Vilcomtess entered the room, and sat down with a pluff as her silk violet dress squashed down into her chair at the head of the table, nearest to Raoul.

The Vilcomtess de Changy was a very extravagant lady, and sat very high in the social pyramid of the Paris aristocracy. She was well respected, wealthy, and accomplished. The Vilcomtess had good breeding and was good at light conversation, everything a gentlewoman should have, or ever wish to be.

But, she was also Raoul's mother, which meant Christine had to be very polite and agreeable in her presence, which was most unfortunate considering Christine was not feeling at all agreeable.

The Vilcomtess was not happy at first to hear of their engagement. Raoul had told his mother a few nights earlier, and she had not taken it well.

"An opera singer?" She exclaimed as if as an insult. "Being patron is one thing, but marring an opera singer?"

Christine was not angry, for she knew that the role of Vilcomtess took on a heavy responsibility. It took good breeding, charm, and respectability. Christine had none of these things.

She lacked good breeding, for her parents were long dead and she had no dowry to offer. Christine was blessed with song, but she knew nothing of the history of music, nor how to play the piano-forte.

And with her new disagreeable behavior, any charm Christine had once possessed must have vanished as though she was wretched since birth.

Though it pained Christine deeply to admit, she had no respectability. Not after the Phantom of the Opera. Yes, Christine was still virtuous. But to the world she was the Opera Ghost's play thing. His little whore. Some said he would seduce her and force her to sing for him until her voice gave way. No matter that these rumors weren't true, it didn't matter that she was still pure. No, Christine was a scandal and should be shamed and frowned upon by all who meet her.

Perhaps that is why I am so disagreeable, Christine thought silently.

"Good evening, mother," Raoul's voice broke Christine out of her trance.

The Vilcomtess smiled warmly at her firstborn and heir, then turned her blue eyes on Christine.

Christine wore a pale pink dress Raoul had bought her as an engagement present. It was beautiful but simple, and soon it became Christine's favorite gown, and often chose it for family dinners. She wore no jewelry, except her engagement ring.