ELEVEN || Fire in Mumbai

Quick note to say that the account is off of hiatus as we have finished refurbishing! Check out our profile to find more shadowhunters fics 💜

------

"A. Please let me in." The silence on the other side of the door was deafening. Alec rolled his eyes and knocked again, this time, he heard a ruffle of sheets. "Addie?" He heard a small laugh, something which made his heart warm up, knowing she was okay.

"Lightwood." Adelaide opened the door wide and moved back towards her large bed, sheets rumpled up and pillows twisted. "Alec, you don't have to check up on me, I'm okay."

Alec sat at the end of the bed facing Adelaide who had her legs crossed as she played with the sheets between her fingers. "I know you say you are, but I am pretty sure my back has bruises from how tightly you grabbed me and my shirt is permanently tear-stained." His attempt at satire made Adelaide smile and bit her lip as she moved her hair out of her face.

"Sorry." Alec smiled nudging her knee just as her phone buzzed on the wooden side table. "Alec, Simon says you need to ring Jace." Adelaide saw the sudden change in his behaviour, like he had just snapped back inside himself like a measuring tape, recoiling to protect himself.

Alec shook his head as he walked from Adelaide's room, the tiny red-head following him closely as he walked through the institute, each time she tried to get him to talk, but it was useless. "Ouch." Alec suddenly stopped causing Adelaide to smack into his jacket covered back. "Dad?" Moving to the side, Adelaide saw a man and woman standing in front of Alec and Izzy, with a small boy inbetween them, who was looking down at the floor.

Izzy pulled Adelaide out from behind Alec and looked between her parents. "What are you doing back so soon?"

"Got in trouble in Mumbai." Alec's mother looked down at the younger Lightwood sibling who's head still hung low.

Alec laughed, he moved forward and ruffled his brothers hair. "Oh, what'd you do?" The boy looked up, mumbling "Nothing."

"He started a fire with his stele during rune studies."

"Mom, I told you, I was hungry. I was trying to draw the Nourishment rune."

Izzy laughed and rolled her eyes. "Those two runes look nothing alike, Max."

"Max, go up to your room, open the Gray Book and look up the Extinguish rune." The boy left and Adelaide felt even more nervous as she caught the gaze of the Lightwood parents.

"Where is Clary Fairchild? Your mother said she's missing." Alec began to walk beside his dad through the institute with Adelaide and Izzy trailing behind.

"She's not missing. She's with Jace." Alec defended.

"We can't have that girl out of Institute control. The entire Shadow World is looking for her. It's a security risk. Get them both back here now."

"Mr and Mrs Lightwood, with all due respect, Clary is in good hands and she is needed much more else where."

Mr and Mrs Lightwood looked at their children. "Who is she?"

"Mom, this is Adelaide Spencer, she's Clary's friend and is also a member of the down-world.  She's gonna come and help me bring a lady and Jace back."

Alec pulled his phone out, dialling Jace's number. "You need to get back to the Institute. I'm not messing around."

Adelaide stood to the side, as she listened to the conversation being exchanged. "Why does Magnus need me?"

"To help save Luke's life." Alec sighed.

"No, I told you at the wolf den, no more Downworlder business. We can't be seen as interfering with a pack alpha dispute."

Adelaide stepped forward, taking Alec's phone and terminating the phone call. "Alec, if there's anything you can do, to make sure Luke is okay, help him live. Please do it. For me."

The Lightwood boy felt an inner conflict between wanting to help the girl before him, and not interfere with Downworld business. "You're gonna be the death of me, Addie."

Adelaide jumped onto her tip toes and kissed Alec's cheek before he grabbed her hand and dragged her towards the warlocks apartment.