O N E || Scream

It was like all of the air had been removed from Adelaide's lungs. She was gasping for air at the rough blow to her abdomen.

"God, I'm sorry that was too much." Jake groaned sitting down on the bench beside them.

"I told you, I need to be trained; I need to be able to defend myself if I'm alone, I can't be encountered by a potential attacker and just politely ask them to move aside as I don't want to be hurt."

Adelaide sipped from the blue sports bottle before standing in the middle of the open space which was surrounded by mats for protection.

"Luke will kill me." His voice sounded from behind her as he readied his stance.

"He's my godfather, not my flesh and blood." That statement didn't seem to fully convince the deputy, all it did was put him on edge more.

"Fine, then use these skills to prevent that, or better yet prevent me from being killed."

A few pushes and shoves was all it took for Jake to fall into the soft leather of the mat while Adelaide kneeled on his back, pulling his twisted arm upward towards his neck.

"Looks like you're training is paying off." Luke's slowly walked towards the pair as he spoke, "Don't injure my deputy, he's valuable."

Adelaide stood up offering a hand to Jake to pull him off of the floor. She was adamant that she needed to be trained to help protect herself, Luke being as protective of her as he is Clary insisted she train with someone he trusts and someone he trained: Jake.

"See, no harm done." Her eyes went doe like as she batted her eyelids playing innocent.

"Hadn't you get home? Simon is picking you up in an hour." Luke asked passing her a water bottle as she patted the slight sweat from her forehead. Her eyes widened at the realization of the time, she gathered her things before sprinting to her home.

Simon, Clary and Adelaide had been friends since they were thrust into kindergarten, Clary and Adelaide clutched onto each other like they were each others lifelines while they slowly walked through the playground behind their teacher and a few other students. Simon had been on his own, his refusal to let go of his mothers hand caused the girls to walk over to him offering theirs, he looked back at his mother before grasping their hands and walking in the middle of the two girls; from that day it was how it always was, the three of them doing everything together.

"There you are, your mum said you were training again." Simon pounced at the smaller girl as soon as her toe was through the door, "You, urmm... you might want to shower and change, I love you but sweaty Addy isn't making an appearance at the Fray house on this important day."

Adelaide pushed Simon aside as she walked up the stairs, Simon following. "So, Clary got in then, you know, for someone with so little followers you act like you're the Fray ambassador, informing the world of their daily achievements." Her statement added a smirk to her always beautiful smile as she pirouetted out of the room and towards the shower.

--

"Happy Birthday, Clary!" The two redheads hugged as they met in the Fray kitchen, the aroma smelt inviting the minute the door opened as Simon walked in.

"Thank you, hair twin." Adelaide and Clary had always been mistaken for twins or family due to the fiery hair the two shared, this lead to many mistakes throughout their teenage years.

"Champagne Enema are on stage in 20 minutes, we better go, we still have to pick up Maurene." Adelaide announced to the kitchen as Luke and Joscelin gave skeptical looks while they said goodbye and left the loft.

The ride was squished with the equipment and the four of them inside the camper-van. Simon had figured it was in everyone's best interest if Clary sat upfront leaving Maureen to be in the back with the keyboards, guitars, microphones and spray paint. The performance was like watching a literal love triangle assemble as Maureen looked longingly at Simon, he stared at Clary the whole time, and her being oblivious just watched the performance with pride.

Afterward, the four friends made their way into Pandemonium due to wanting to follow the blonde boy that only Simon and Maureen insisted they couldn't see.

"I'm gonna go fail getting us some drinks." Simon and Maureen walked towards the crowded bar in hopes of getting celebratory drinks.

Adelaide lost her breath, her head began to pound and she felt as though she was having brain surgery on the spot, Clary held the girl up and she leader against the wall.

"Are you okay? Do you want to leave." Clary's voice was soft but loud due to the surroundings.

"No, I'm fine I just got a funny feeling. Something doesn't feel right." Adelaide shook it off and walked with clary to the V.I.P room.

Adelaide didn't really see much else of what happened, her eyes went blurry and she heard shouts and groans from around her, the sound of Clary's panic made her want to move but she couldn't, like she was paralysed on the spot.

She could hear the sound of a sharp object flying through another, like a knife to the chest; she couldn't breath.

She could feel the pain.

The metallic taste was in her mouth, all she could do was scream.

That's what she did,

Scream