Phillip's eyes lit up and he nodded eagerly."Okay, papa!"He dashed off down the street to the green glowing house shaped like a lantern. Odd.

  I handed my clippers off to Lafayette and headed to the biggest building in town. The home of the Mayor. Mayor Washington and I knew each other from way back before the nuclear breakout. With such, I was his Secretary of Treasury.

  And Thomas was his Secretary of Society. He chose what he believed was best for the people. In some form, I found it chivalrous. But that was just his job description. Thomas didn't think of anyone but himself.

---

  "I suppose I shall go escort young Phillip to Chamberlain's house, non?"Lafayette chirped eagerly. Before the tall dark-skinned man could prance off, Hercules restrained him by his collar and laughed."Not with that bushel, no. Come on. Let's take these to Processing."

---

  "You asked to see me, your Excellency?"I hummed as I stepped into Washington's office.

  "Yes."George remarked."I have a matter that is of the utmost impertinence."

  Someone burst through the door."Forgive me for my tardiness."A Southern accent licked the words. I hissed inwardly. Jefferson.

  I turned to see the man who bore uncanny resemblance to Lafayette, an honorable man who I felt pity for because he had to look similar to Jefferson.

  "Don't worry. We hadn't begun."George motioned to the seats in front of him.

  I hastily sat down, avoiding Thomas as he also sat down. If I could, I'd put a bullet through his damn skull. But Thomas always refused my duel requests. (A/N|| I'm listening to Shooter by Clippng.. I just had to.)

  "Men, I know you don't like each other, but this problem is far bigger than the two of you. Bigger than the town. Bigger than the country."

  "The animals have been getting more aggressive. There are newer species. The Articles have us convinced that they've contained all of the radiation leaks. But I highly doubt it. I'd investigate this matter myself, but Martha has come down with Grica again. Therefore, I'd like the two of you to take this issue into your own hands and find out how to solve it."Washington said.

  "Wait.."I droned.

  Thomas instantly caught up."You're giving us a joint assignment? That includes us leaving the town? Together?"

  Washington nodded curtly."Yes. Now, the problem seems to be affecting a nearby area. About south of here?"He said.

  "Pandora's Box.."I responded grimly. I didn't like that area. Nobody in Quill fancied that area. It was a hellhole. A beautiful hellhole.

  "I understand. Let's gather our supplies today and leave before the sun disappears below the horizon."Thomas ultimately decided, as if he was the brains of the operation. Frankly, he was neither the brains, the brawn, or the help. He was the mascot. The shitty underpaid mascot that deserved his $3.50 an hour. We left the room and I angrily pulled Thomas over.

  "You're not the spokesman for the both of us."I snapped.

  He seemed unfazed by my outburst. I wondered how long I'd been arguing with him for him to become bored with our quarrels.

  "I can't leave that early. I have a son that I have to take care of."I continued on."But of course. You wouldn't know how that feels."

  As I said this, Thomas's face instantly contorted into one of anguish. But it lasted for only a minute. His brows returned to their relaxed state and he rolled his deep brown eyes. He turned and left me without giving a counterattack. Now I wanted to follow after him and pester him until he threw a string of curses at me. It was very comforting to hear him curse at me.

  I headed for Chamber's house when I exited the building. Oh Phillip. I hoped that the issue wasn't that grandiose. To the point where I'd eventually sacrifice my life for it. He had enough pain in his life.

  Chamber was the protector of Quill. Head of security. The Sphinx. Cerberus. She had been attacked by several animals. A mutated alligator, a mutated bat, a mutated hyena, a mutated eel. It was amazing. She still had the scars. These attacks jampacked her with the ability to turn into her own mutated animal. A canine-like creature that wore a skull with alligator jaws. She couldn't fly. Sadly. But she had shock, incendiary, and corrosive powers. (A/N: I'm still in Borderlands mode. I nearly said slag.)

  But all in all, she looked normal.

  I knocked on her door. A 5'6" woman with a mane of curly brown hair and brown eyes that were flushed acid green with tan skin and bite marks all over her legs opened the door. Her ears were lined with piercings and her arms were covered by bracelets.

  Well, she looked normal to a degree.

  "Ah! Phillip! Laf, bring Phillip please. Alex is here."She called back with her heavy Hispanic accent. She was from the Caribbean like I was.

  Laf?

  The tall Frenchman came bounding over to the door with my son giggling as he stared down from his perch atop Lafayette's broad shoulders. He handed me Phillip, but I handed him right back with a pained expression. Chamber cocked a brow, confused.

  "What's wrong Alex?"She asked.

  I nervously glanced at Phillip, who seemed intent on listening in on the conversation. I didn't want the love of my life to cry me an ocean. I wanted him to stay on shore. Where there were no foreboding depths. Where there was no lack of oxygen. "I have some business to attend to and I'm afraid it'll take me out of Quill for a couple of days."I informed ruefully.

  Phillip gazed at me with his starlit puppy brown eyes, the freckles on his cheeks expressing his every thought and emotion. He placed his hands on his hips and puffed out his small chest."Bring me back a flower."

  I laughed. He had an odd fascination with flora rather fauna. Gladly.

  "Of course, my love."