"You derailed"

He laughed. "Yeah, but I wanted to know if you wanted to go do something with me"

"I'm dirty"

"Soap touches you more than it touches me"

"Whichever one of your friends told you to do this, just tell them to fuck off. I'm tired of that shit"

As much as people talked down on her, she could never get used to it.

"What friends, ma? I'm a grown ass man, who do you think I think I need to impress?"

"Well then no thank you"

"I won't spend any money on you, since you'd just give whatever it was away"

"Do you sell drugs?" She asked, looking up to stare in his face.

"A nigga is scared to get shot. Why, do I look thuggish to you? Is it the pants?"

"You didn't answer my question"

"No, I just work at subway" He answered honestly.

"I wouldn't sell drugs for you"

"I'll keep it in mind, ma"

-

Antiere lay in Nadir's bed just staring at the ceiling.

"Happy birthday, baby"

"You know it ain't your fault" Chance walked into her room.

"I know, it's everybody's fault"

"Yeah"

"I was thinking about getting her name tattooed on me, but what would that do?"

"I wish I had something on Pharoah. I used to spend almost every day with the nigga, and I barely knew shit. All we did was smoke and do stupid shit" Chance wished he had paid attention.

"I told you from the beginning that he wasn't your fucking friend. Shit wouldn't have been as bad if you had listened to me-"

"You wasn't there from the beginning so I really don't need you to say shit about it. Y'all was arguing over Nadir, and I had assumed that it was over some petty shit"

"How the fuck you gone still gone be friends with a nigga that hoed your sister though? I don't get it"

"How you still here, but it's time for you to get the fuck out? She broke up with yo ass anyways"

Antiere got up and dismissed himself.

"I'm not finna do this. It ain't worth shit" He laughed.

"Do what? Cause we just talking. Pointing fingers ain't gone do shit, because we both guilty. It damn sure won't bring my sister back"

A half an hour later, Chance was slumped on the couch, and Kensli walked back and forth across his body.

"Bub"

"Huh?" She questioned.

"Do you know who Nadir is?"

"Noooo, but I can't play in her room"

"Do you know who the lady in the orange pajamas was?"

"That my granny"

"Aight"

"Daddy, you no fun. Mommy house?"

"You don't want to spend any time with me, Kens? Damn."

"You a boy"

"What is a gender?"

"I dunno, boy" Kensli slid off of the couch.

"Discrimination"

"Slow down your words, daddy" She left the room.

Chance laughed. "Imma do better"

Kensli came back, dragging a bucket with a blanket and a tea set. "Mommy said that daddies don't do tea parties, so we needed to see"

He slid to sit down on the floor. "Technology getting good these days. Who needs Maury when you got tea?"

"I don't like tea. I do cocoa"

-

Pharoah tied King's shoes.

"I hope you learn something from me, nigga"

Imogen turned around at the sink. "He's going to grow up and resent you"

"Must run in the family"

King slid his shoe off of his foot, and walked towards Imogen, grabbing onto her leg.

His hands pulled on her skirt, trying to pull himself upwards.

Imogen lifted him up, and sat him on the counter. "I'm doing dishes, baby"

Pharoah's father stepped into the kitchen. "Hello, family"

King screeched and reached for his [grand/father], making him laugh.

"Hello, son" He said, putting King on his neck and holding his legs.

Classic dad at an amusement park style.

King grabbed onto his head and blew raspberries.

Pharoah watched with general disinterest, and his father put King down on the counter again. "Wouldn't want Pharoah to get too jealous" He teased. "How are you son?"

"I'm holding up" He lied.

"I have your back Pharoah, and if a fight is what they want, then that's what they'll get"

"Thanks"

"I love you, son"

Pharoah nodded his head and didn't bother responding.

-