34. | T H E F A L L I N G W A L L S

Start from the beginning

"No," Carter said, putting a piece of steak in his mouth, "Joy this food is delicious," he looked over at her and smiled, trying to divert the attention - - he was so annoyed about the press and the issue with the F.B.I that he didn't want to talk about it anymore than he already had, "What did you put in the mashed potatoes?"

"Oh, just some garlic and rosemary," she laughed uneasily, "Shawn loves them too, don't you baby?"

"Carti," Midknight paused, "I mean what I say - - the F.B.I. they're like roaches you know. You kill one and more just keep coming back until you've got a whole infestation of them."

"I know, Knight," Carter said, like a chastised child - - he had come with other things on his mind, "I got it covered."

"Any dirty money you have you better clean it and get it clean quick - - anything dirty."

"Knight I didn't come to talk about that shit," Carter said finishing his dinner, "I came for something else."

"What?"

"I've been talking to this agency - - a family heritage agency - - look, I know you didn't want me doing this cause you were scared I'd get hurt but I found my motha' - - well I kind of did," Carter wiped his mouth and watched as Joy got up and took their plates into the kitchen, "I found out whea' she lived twenty years ago and I found a picture of her and me. I talked to some people and they told me a few things."

"Carter I already told you I don't agree with this," Knight said shaking his head, "You're barking up a dead tree."

"I just - - I have to know, you know," he sighed, "Anyway, the guy workin' on my case he suggested that I ask people close to me if they know anything. The Garrett's - - they only know what the group home told them which ain't much - - there's really no one else I can turn to."

"So basically you're at a dead end? I could have told you that."

"Well maybe I'm not," Joy brought out coffee and sat it in front of Carter and then sat Knight's down on the table, "Maybe you might know something about her. Her name is Felicia Jones but I think people used to call her Billie - - she was an artist and she used to live ova' by - -,"

"Carter! Enough!" He grabbed his walking stick and pushed away from the table, "Enough, gotdammit!"

"Why are you so upset? Knight, I just don't understand why you're so mad that I'm doing this - - I'm doing this for me! I NEED to know who she is and where she is - - she's my motha', gotdammit!"

"She's gone! That's where she is!"

"Shawn," Joy interrupted, "I don't think that this is a good time to - -,"

"No," Knight stopped her, "No - - if he wants to know then I'll tell him. Since he's so hell bent on finding his mother I'll tell him!"

"Tell me - - tell me - - tell me what," Carter looked up at Joy, stammering and then over to Knight, feeling his stomach drop, "Tell me what, Joy? What's he talkin' about?"

"I knew Billie," Knight said, "I knew her real well."

"What?"

"She worked for me - - back when I was slinging all over New York - - when I was in the drug game."

"You knew my motha'?" He felt like he couldn't breathe, "Why didn't you tell me - - Knight - - wha - -," Carter took a deep breath, "Why didn't you tell me! Do you know where my fatha' is too?! Gotdammit Knight how could you keep this shit from me and you knew I was tryna find her!"