34. | T H E F A L L I N G W A L L S

Start from the beginning

"What the fuck do you want Valentine? I'm not in the mood for games or this bullshit scandal you're trying to make up about me. I have a lot more important things to be worrying about," and he did - - with Stoni's pregnancy coming close to full term she'd be ready to drop Zyair any moment now, piecing back together his fucked up marriage, the girls, and business just to name a few.

"I want you to be truthful with me about Stallings and about the shooting. We already know Stallings was assigned as an undercover on your case, Carter - - how dumb do you think we are - - he just goes missing? Something's not right about that don't you think?"

"I don't know what you're talkin' about for one. Who the fuck is Stallings and two what shooting?"

"Don't play dumb Carter."

"I'm not," he sat on his desk and drank the scotch slowly, feeling the burn as he looked impeccably fly in his dark brown three piece suit, of which he'd placed his jacket on the back of his chair, "I have no idea what shooting you're talkin' about."

"The one that killed your driver. I'm sure you remember that right?"

Carter laughed coolly, "Valentine you and I both know you have nothin' right now. Your unit is desperately clingin' on for dear life so the state doesn't fire your incompetent asses. You can't solve a fuckin' case and you can't convict not one mothafucka that you go after - - just like the NYPD. All of y'all are pathetic if you ask me. How you gonna point fingers at me for this Stallings guy and you got no body?"

"Because we know you were there Carter - - we know gotdammit! We know you killed Stallings!"

He licked his lips and said quietly, "Prove it. Where's his body, Quincy?" He sucked his bottom lip and leaned back, "Until you can prove anything I'd advise you to shut the fuck up cause I ain't goin' no whea'." He walked to the door and opened it, "When you can prove anything then you come see me but until then get the fuck out of my office and don't come harassin' me or my family again." Reluctantly, Valentine and his partner got up and walked to the door where Carter was standing, "You have a nice day."

"This isn't over Carter. We'll be back."

"Bring your warrant and your proof with you," Carter slammed the door and shook his head annoyed. He heard his phone ring and walked over to answer, "Carter," he said into the phone.

"Carti it's Judas," he paused, "You read the paper today, son? It's all over the news - - the F.B.I.'s all over our ass. Some mothafucka came banging on my door at seven in the mornin' asking me all types of shit about that nigga Stallings. What the fuck is going on?"

"Hell if I fuckin' know - - they always wanting something," he rubbed his temples, feeling his headaches coming back, "Look, I don't wanna talk over these phones though - - I know they got these shit's tapped by now. Don't use the phones, Judas - - anything we gotta talk about we do it in person, got me?"

"Yeah," he said.

"Stay on point with that shit, I mean it. Any little thing they can do to hem me up they will and if I fall we all fall - - you know how that game go."

"I know," Judas said and hung up, not wanting to say anything further for the feds to record.

● ● ●

"I heard about what happened today - - Joy read about it in the Times," Carter sat across from Midknight at the table and cut into his steak, "I hope you aren't giving them anything to be right about, Carti."