31. | D O W N LOW, D O U B L E LIFE

Start from the beginning

"What can I do," Stoni said weakly, knowing that the word had been spoken, "It's what he wants - - it's what he thinks is best and - - it's what I have to do."

"You don't have to do it if you don't want to."

"I can't raise a baby," she sobbed into Allison's chest, "I'm nineteen years old - - I have so many opportunities with my dancing - -," she cried, "Ally I got the lead role in the spring concert. If I have this baby I'll be letting so many people down - - Carter being the main person."

"All this about him," she grabbed Stoni's face, "And nothing about Stoni. What about what Stoni has to deal with, hm? He's not the one who's about to be laying on that table - - you are."

"What about his family? He doesn't want one with me. He's still with his wife."

"Are you surprised? Stoni, men like him don't leave their wives they just constantly cheat on them," she was about to go off into a whole different conversation but she stopped herself, knowing they'd been down that road before.

"Allison what can I do now?" She looked up at her friend with pleading eyes, "I love him - - I love him so much and I - - you'll never understand me and him. No one ever will. Not unless you've been there and you're in it - - no one will get the situation between Carter and me."

"Well help me to get it. Honestly, I don't understand how you can love someone who is splitting his love between you and his wife. It's not possible to be in love with two people at once - - at least I don't think," she sighed, "I don't like what he's done to you, Stoni. That's all. Look at you - - you're an emotional rollercoaster and I love you and only want you to be happy. He's hurting you more than helping you." Stoni didn't want to talk about it anymore so she sat there quietly and watched the window while the tears escaped her eyes.

Minutes later, still in Allison's embrace, they both heard the sound of footsteps and smelled the scent of Versace men's cologne floating its way inside the room. Allison was the first to turn around and take him in and next Stoni turned around and stared at his tall figure standing in the doorframe. His handsome face was sullen with emotion written upon it and worry in his brows. Both women could tell that he had been worrying about the matter just as they had.

Stoni took a deep breath, tearing her eyes away from all six foot of him and stared quietly at the floor in a moment of unspoken shame. Allison stood up and kissed Stoni's forehead, "Be strong okay?" She said to Stoni, "And you call me as soon as you're done and I'll be right here waiting for you," she had committed herself already to being there for Stoni as soon as she got the abortion.

She'd wait on her hand and foot and see to it that her bestie got better as soon as possible and that she had someone there with her knowing how Carter had a tendency to leave Stoni in the house alone. But then what could Allison really expect from a man who juggled different women and three kids.

"Hey, Ally," Carter said to Allison as she walked away from Stoni and near the door. However he was only met with Allison's cold stare and eventually her back as she simply walked past him without responding. She was furious with Carter for everything and had been since day one when he preyed on her friend. He couldn't do much to ease his wound from her rudeness toward him but he decided to ignore it and to focus on the person whom he'd come for - - Stoni, "Are you ready to go?" Carter said, not moving from the door.

"Yeah," she got up, feeling the baby shifting inside her - - she knew surely it was, "I'm ready," Stoni grabbed her overnight bag and met Carter, trying to avoid his eyes at all costs.

"Hey," he grabbed her chin and looked down at her, "Remember why we're doin' this," he said, "It's what's best for both of us, baby doll. I wouldn't ever want to put you in harms way - - you know that right."