Prologue: In The Beginning

I was at home when it happened. My parents had taken my brother and sister to their piano lessons, and then they were going to the gym to work out. I had stayed behind because I had started to feel pretty sick and needed to rest. I was in the middle of a much-needed nap when I got the call.

    The caller ID on the phone said 'Unknown.' I figured it was my dad calling from the hospital. He was the only general surgeon there, and he frequently called from that number. When I picked up, I saw that it was the hospital, but it was not my dad on the other line.

    "Hello, this is Dr. Jones, is this Victoria Ross?" the voice asked urgently.

    "Yes, this is she...H-how can I help?" I asked nervously. I never like social interaction with anyone, it always made me anxious.

    "Sweetie, I need you to listen to me very carefully. There is a cop coming down to your house. He will ask you to go with him. Get in the car and don't ask questions," he replied as calmly as he could.

    "What?! Why?! I didn't do anything wrong!" I defended myself, clearly getting angry.

    "No, sweetie, you didn't. Your entire family is here in the hospital and-" I didn't let him finish.

    "WHY ARE THEY THERE?! ARE THEY OKAY?!" I screamed into the phone.

    "Sweetie, please take a few deep breaths. I need you not to freak out when I tell you the next part. Promise me you won't," he said. It was too late; I was already freaking out. But I nodded anyway and forced the promise out of my mouth.

    "Everyone except your mom died in the impact of the crash. They hit the side of your uncle's eighteen-wheeler and went straight under it. Your mom is barely hanging on, but she won't relax until she sees you-"

    And with that, I hung up.
_______________________________
This is my first Mystic Messenger story, so I hope you like it! I'm sorry for the short chapter, but it will get longer as time goes on! Please vote and comment!