Lake Truth

"Wow," I gasped in awe of the beauty that surrounded me, "It's beautiful."

Stacey chuckled warmly, "This," she motioned to the place around her, "Is my safe place. I come here all the time... been coming more often."

Since the post.

"Yeah," she whispered, "Since the post."

Did she know? I looked up at her, startled.

She smirked, "Yah, I can read your mind, not really. I wish I could."

"Yeah, that would be cool," I responded. I gazed at the large lake ahead of us wondering what to do next.

"Follow me," Stacey said. She led me down the dock where we took a seat dipping our legs into the cool water. "This is my favorite thing to do here."

We sat in silence. It wasn't awkward, more of a comfortable silence. We didn't feel the need to break it.

Stacey sighed, "I don't know why someone would write the post. Is my life any of their business?"

I flinched. I know I was too nosy for my own good. I wish I could go back and change it.

"I don't know why I'm still obsessing over it," she continued, "If people want to tease me, then they are not my real friends." She turned awkwardly to face me. "Thank you for being here for me, even after I put you through all of..." She gave me a tight hug.

"Of course," I said genuinely, though I felt some of my falseness resurfacing.

It was something that I've never felt before. Then I understood.

I felt so fake- because I was guilty, but that wasn't the only reason. Stacey treated me as a real friend though she had no idea what I did.

Then, out of the corner of my eye, I saw Stacey grin and put her arms out. Confused, I looked at her. She grabbed my arm and jumped into the lake- pulling me down with her.

~*~

"That was so much fun!" I cried as we headed back to the car.

After we jumped in, we swam around a bit before getting out. There was a light warmth coming from the sun, so we dried out in it before leaving.

"I know right!" Stacey said happily, "I always found this place calming, but I never knew how fun it could be!" Then her voice softened, "I never shared this place with anyone. You are the first. It just seemed right; you seemed like the true friend to share it with."

The guilt decided to show up again, but I quickly brushed it off. "So, um, what is the name of the lake?" I asked trying to avoid the evil topic known as 'friendship'

She smiled shyly, "This is why I like it so much. It's called Truth Lake."

"Yeah, it's very nice."

That stupid word- truth. Perfect name. The irony of it!

My phone buzzed, and I looked at the cracked screen.

1 New Notification

I entered my password and pressed on it. I gasped.

LETSGO: When u updating?

Then another one came.

IAMBAE: Yah u said 'until later' is it later?

And Another.

CREEPSTACHE: i wanna know! DRAMAAAA!

"You were behind all of this?" a hurt voice asked.

I looked up to see Stacey peering down at my screen in shock. No, no, NO! This could not be happening. I thought we were driving. I looked out the car window. We were already in front of my house. I quickly got down knowing that I didn't have a way out of this one.

As I left I heard a small voice say, "I can't believe I trusted you."

Once again, thanks for reading!

Comment

Vote

Follow

~EverFaith03