Prologue

Darkness...

That never ending shadow darker than anyone's secret blinded my every step. Fear and the instinct of survival fueled my adrenalin as I ran through the forest... away from them, away from the necromancers.

Their dark auras blended perfectly with the darkness. I don't know anymore whether they're still behind me or now running closely beside me. All I could think about was to run far away from them.

I would do anything to prevent them from getting a hold of my magic...

"It's pointless trying to run away from me, Artemis. Now that I found you once again I will do everything to have your precious soul!" His taunting voice echoed throughout the dead silent woods, making my apprehension grow.

And I will do everything in my will to prevent your evil plans.

I screamed when I suddenly fell on the ground, hands clutching my feet caught by the enchanted vines getting tighter each second. Three hooded men approached me, the one in the middle holds the end of the twisted vines.

Behind them the shadows move in sync, like waves mocking me.

Souls... They've brought souls.

"I've been waiting for this time to come. My souls can finally find hosts. I will build an army of ghouls and you are the only one who can make that possible." He smiled, the cruelness it holds frightened me to the core. He bent down to level his face with mine. His eyes were like pits of endless black. His cold fingers caressed my cheek lightly, like a ghost's touch barely making contact with my skin.

If it wasn't for the madness and thirst for magic marring his face, I would've find him attractive. Any sane person would run away from him by seeing that crazed look in his eyes. This is the reason why magic should be feared.

Magic can give you everything... but too much magic can drive you insane. It calls you like a siren's voice, and once you let yourself drown in it... there's no turning back.

"Magic is just the shell of what it truly holds. Magic is not the thing that you should fear." My grandmother's voice rang in my head, softly caressing the walls of my thoughts. "Fear power. Power should be feared."

My heart raced remembering that conversation with her. I never understood what she meant by that and I have a feeling I will very soon.

"I can see the magic in your soul, Artemis. Beautiful..." He chuckled with awe.

"You're sick." I spat, pushing him away from me. "There's no point in bringing the dead back into life, Trevine. What do you really want?!"

He laughed humourlessly at that, "There is something in bringing them back to life!" Then his eyes turned murderous, "If I can bring a dead person back to life many people will worship me... many people will fear the power that I have!"

Power.

"Sadly, I can't." He paused, "You can, Wiccan kid. Your magic can, and I need it. I want it."

I smirked, "Sadly, you can't." I mimicked him.

His eyes narrowed, assessing the expression I have and trying to find out what I am planning to do.

If magic shouldn't be feared, I will use it.

I closed my eyes, finding the closest reservoir of magic. I found one. A lone white aura moving towards us, it was too far still but enough for me to see the golden hue mixing with it. A royal air elf?? Have I trespassed King Aer's land unconsciously?

That thought made me shiver. I have to do this fast. If the deadly king found out I trespassed in his land I'm sure he will have my head on a silver platter.

I chanted the spell in my mind, a purple vine-like thread coming from me reached out towards the aura to bind us temporarily together. But before I could wrap the thread around the aura, it produced it's own tentacles and entwined our threads tightly... strongly.

My eyes opened in surprise. Impossible...

I was pulled back into reality when the vines painfully squeezed my ankles and crawled up to my legs. No time to stall.

I opened my palms, air magic dancing in the air around me. The magic grew stronger as the aura pushed more magic towards me. Wall of air pushed the three men backwards, destroying the perfect sync of the souls dancing in the shadows.

"Get her!" Trevine ordered his army of souls. All of them charged in one breath. The aura pushed more magic, this time stronger and fiercer. The souls attacking screamed in torment, making me cover my ears from the sound as I watched them being swallowed by a whirlwind.

When the air calmed they disappeared, not a single soul was left. Trevine and his comrades stared at someone behind me in fear. One by one they portaled out, leaving me alone in shock.

Even without turning to look behind me, I already knew who he is. Only one person can do that, only one king can send souls in hell.

He walked closer to me, his heavy breaths fanned the back of my ear. "Why the fuck are they after you?" He growled lowly, hands gripping my waist.

As his hands innocently brushed against my skin tingles erupted on that part. My breathing hitched as his hands tightened around my waist in return.

Why are there sparks?? There shouldn't be sparks.

"Never play with power because power knows how to fight back. Power can manipulate anything when it wants to."

My eyes widened in understanding. Now I know what my grandmother meant with those words.

Magic and power are two different things. Power is stronger. Power is danger.

He is power.

I turned to face Heaven Aer, his face inches away from mine. I dreaded the coming anger and harsh words, however as I looked into his eyes I found something I have never seen before in him...

Light...