Sleeping Together

Start from the beginning

Smiling back, Devin maneuvered out of the parking lot and made his way home.

******

It was already past midnight and the streets were empty. Despite the calmness that had settled over the city and the silence in the car, Suki's thoughts churned, taking up every space in her mind. There was no room for solace, nor a path for escape. When the car slowed down at a stoplight, she kept her face angled away from him to hide the tears that rolled down her cheeks.

To her relief, he didn't pry. Instead, he put on some quiet music and left her to her thoughts. He gave her some space.

When they reached his designated parking lot at the basement of an apartment complex, Devin immediately went out to open the door on the passenger side. He examined her closely as she stepped out of the car. After he closed the door behind her, he asked, "Where are your things?"

"I... I left them at work."

He guided her towards the lift. "I see. If you don't mind me asking, where do you work?"

She looked him in the eye, wondering if it was wise to reveal her personal information. In the end, she decided her workplace was not that private. "I do administrative work at Mobisplice."

"It's that mobile gaming company at Software Park, right?"

They had finally reached the elevator and since it was quite late, they didn't wait long for it to arrive.

"Yes, it's that one," she said as they stepped inside.

Devin swiped a key card that automatically lit up the button to the 28th floor. "Interesting. I work in the area. Maybe I'll see you more often, even after tonight."

He winked.

She narrowed her eyes. "Did you just wink at me?"

Under the light of the elevator, she was finally able to see him more clearly. He had thick, brown hair parted on the far right and swept to the side, with some strands falling over his left eye. His brown eyes twinkled as he smiled at her with perfectly white teeth.

"And if I did?"

She cringed. "It's weird."

This only made him laugh.

"Why?" He lowered his voice and took a step closer towards her, prompting Suki to take a step back against the wall of the elevator.

"You--" Had she offended him? Was he angry? She scanned the place for possible escape routes. "You promised to be a gentleman."

"And I intend to keep that promise." He moved closer, leaving only a few steps between them.

His height allowed him to occupy all of her personal space. Every cell in her body screamed their need to flee. Obviously, she had made the wrong choice. She had offended him and he was going to hit her.

You stupid, stupid girl! Why did you have to open your mouth?

Luckily, the elevator stopped. As soon as the door opened, Suki rushed out, putting as much space between them as she could.

"What's wrong?" he called from behind her.

Oh god, he was chasing after her.

Suki ran down the corridor. Hearing his footsteps behind her, she pushed her legs to go faster. At the end of the hall was an apartment door. She looked around to find somewhere to go. There was nowhere. She stopped. Suddenly, something heavy hit her from behind, pitching her forward. Before she knew it, she was falling. She screamed and covered her face.