Chapter 18

Harry's POV

My hand trembled as I dropped my stethoscope to hang on my neck. The look on Louis' face was absolutely horrifying. The fear and the pain seemed to overtake both of us as he clutched his chest, gasping as he felt the discomfort and horrible pangs that came along with a heart attack.

I pressed the button on the wall, tears reaching my eyes.

"C'mon!" I groaned, slamming my finger repeatedly on the button.

"Harry I'm scared," Louis whimpered, squeezing my hand so tight my fingers turned white.

"I know baby, I know," I soothed, my eyes burning.

And then he was gasping for air. "I can't breathe!" He screamed loudly, squirming on the couch in my office. I sighed in relief as a nurse came in with a gurney, a shocked look on her face.

"Heart attack," I choked out, and she nodded. We both helped him lay down on the bed, and another nurse tried to help him steady his breaths.

"It hurts, so bad," Louis cried, tears streaming down his face. And then he groaned, his voice echoing down the hallway and making my heart tear apart. His moans and shouts were almost too much for me to handle, but I promised him. I promised him that I would keep him alive, no matter what it took.

"My hearts burning!" Louis sobbed, placing both his hands over his chest and an effort to stop the pain. I cried harder as I watched him, watched him squirm under my eyes as we rolled him towards a room. I could see some nurses looking worriedly from down the hall, but I ignored them. I focused on Louis' face, his sweaty face that was just so beautiful.

"I love you," he whispered, and the nurses sent me confused looks.

"I love you too." I didn't care about them, I just wanted Louis to know. I wanted him to know that every second I spent with him was perfect, that every time I looked into his sparkling blue eyes I got lost and I didn't even want to be found.

We finally entered the large white room and I carried him to the table that was connected with so many wires. Louis' cries had reduced to small whimpers, holding his chest and looking at me helplessly.

"Give him some medicine," I begged, cutting his shirt open with a pair of scissors. I placed my hand on his warm chest, feeling his heart beat rapidly under my hand.

But my real thoughts were of what I learned back in prep school.

The best time to treat somebody with a heart attack is when it first starts, so you need to treat it early. But the bad news is, they may or may not survive depending on their current condition. If the patient's heart it somewhat healthy, they might survive. But if the patient has a bad heart condition... I don't know.

The man's words echoed in my head. Louis had a horrible heart condition, that could barely even manage to work with the ICD and the pacemaker. Let alone keep beating even after a heart attack.

More tears prickled my eyes as I watched the nurse insert the anti-clot medicine, then another handed me a tube.

Oh. I needed to do PCI. I shook my head. I was so distracted and I needed to focus on keeping my beautiful Louis alive.

I never broke eye contact with him as the anesthesiologist put him to sleep, and I felt chest pang when his eyelids fluttered shut.

"Dr. Styles, the PCI," I looked up to see Nurse Ella, her eyes wide as she gestured to the tube in my hand. I bit my lip and proceeded to expose Louis' inner thigh, where I had to insert the tube. The nurse had prepped it for me, and I ignored the familiarity of this spot on his body. Instead, I pushed the tube into his thigh and watched as the balloon attached to the end disappeared into his thin body. His body was jumping as the other doctor placed electroydes on his chest and tried to shock his heart back into beating.

I finally reached the tube to the blocked artery by his heart, praying to God and everybody else that it would work. I could feel the balloon inflating against the walls of his artery, pushing plaque towards the edges so blood could flow through. My face was burning with tears and my heart was probably in the same state as Louis'. And after I had inserted the tube, I turned to the other doctor so I could take over his position.

"1, 2 go!" I shouted. I flinched as Louis' weak body flopped against the bed.

"The tube isn't working," A nurse called out, pointing to a picture on the screen. I tried to control my breathing as I looked at the picture. There was a vessel on the heart that was supposed to go all the way around. But for some reason, it stopped at the top of his heart and I didn't know how to fix it.

Finally, the tears won the battle. I burst into a fit of sobs and the nurse's escorted me out of the room, sending another doctor in there.

I didn't want to leave. I didn't want Louis' life to depend on some other heart doctor who didn't have as much experience as me. I didn't want to.

I screamed at the nurses who held me back against the wall, soothing me and telling me to calm down as I shouted and cried, staring at the open door where Louis lay on the bed, lifeless. My legs were shaking and my heart was racing, and I think I imagined it when Louis looked at me.

I know I imagined it.

Nurse Ella placed a needle on my arm and before I could pull away she stuck her thumb on the plunger, injecting me with a clear fluid. And next thing you know, I was out, not taking my eyes off Louis until I collapsed into Ella's arms and my eyes fluttered closed.

***

I know, short chapter, and I'm sorry. But I want to leave you hanging.

-Kayla