Chapter 8

LOUIS' POV

I couldn't deny the fact that my check up's with Harry were my favorite part of the day. I was happy, other than the fact that I had now started to experience shortness of breath and I was always unbelievably tired.

But I was never too tired to kiss Harry.

I heard a knock on my hospital door, and I sat up quickly, regretting it immediately. I placed my hand over my head, taking deep breaths and trying to calm my racing heart.

"Come in," I breathed, resting my head against the white wall behind me.

"How do you feel Louis?" Harry's voice reached my ears and made the corners of my mouth turn up. My answer didn't match my smile.

"Awful," I complained, adjusting my position. I made sure not to make too quick of movements.

"What hurts?" Harry asked sympathetically, pushing his eyebrows together.

"My heart feels like it's throbbing," I looked down and placed my hand over my chest.

"Heart palpitations," He sighed.

"What are those?" I asked worriedly, grabbing Harry's hand.

"Well, in order for your heart to make up for the lack of pumping, it is trying to beat faster, causing you to feel like your heart is throbbing or racing," He explained, and I almost smiled at how smart he was.

"Do you have any other problems?" He pressed, placing his hand on my cheek.

"I'm just tired all the time," I sighed, closing my eyes. I smiled when I felt Harry lean forward and kiss me. I moved my lips against his weakly, only thinking of how warm and soft they were. After a few seconds, I could feel my heart beating unbelievably fast, causing the monitor to screech. I pulled back breathlessly, breaking into a fit of coughs.

"Oh my god I'm so sorry," Harry's eyes widened, staring at the heart monitor. He winced as I coughed and coughed, tears strolling down my cheeks.

I'd never had a coughing fit this bad before. Harry looked horrified as I started coughing up blood, and Harry started patting me on my back. It helped a little, and to my relief, I finally stopped.

"Are you okay?" Harry questioneod, worry in his eyes.

"I guess," I croaked. My throat was painfully sore, and there was a metallic taste on my tongue.

"You need thoracentesis." Harry concluded, snapping his fingers. I rolled my eyes, causing him to smile a bit.

"Can you please tell me what that is?" I cringed at the crack in my voice.

"It's where we stick a tube into your lungs and remove all the excess fluid, so it makes it easier for you to breathe. Also, it will get rid of all those awful coughing fits you have," Harry gave me a sympathetic look, glancing down at the blood on the sheets.

"I would like that," I sighed, redness creeping up my cheeks. Harry informed me that he would give me the procedure tomorrow. Butterflies fluttered in my stomach as he kissed me softly once more, despite the fact that I was just coughing up blood. I gave him a weak wave as he left the room, leaving me to replay the kiss over and over in my head. 

**

"Are you ready?" A nurse asked me gently, placing her warm hand on my shoulder. I gulped, nodding quietly. I was rolled into a small room with a chair and a table with a pillow on it. The nurse informed me to take off my shirt, and I blushed deeply as I slid my shirt over my head. I was skinny; too skinny.

My cheeks got even redder when Harry walked into the room, his curls bouncing around his face. A sheepish smile crossed my lips as he placed his large hand on my bare arm.

The nurse gave us a quick nod and scurried out of the room, leaving me and Harry alone.

"Okay Lou, I'm gonna need you to sit on the edge of this chair and lean forward. Then place your elbows on the pillow." I followed his simple instructions and grinned when I felt him sit on the same chair as me, his hands on my back.

I shivered as he placed his stethoscope on my back, listening for where my lungs were clogged with fluid.  He rubbed something cold on my back. Soon, it felt numb and Harry told me he was ready to start.

I felt an uncomfortable pinch in my back, right where my ribs were. "I'm inserting a needle," Harry's soothing voice said in my ear. I turned my head just enough to see him pushing his thumb on the syringe, filling it up with fluid that was in my lungs.

Before I knew it, he was pushing a tube were the needle had formerly been and sucking all the fluid out.

I felt a bit of chest pain, but then my lungs expanded and filled with air. I breathed deeply. I never knew how much better I could breathe before my heart started failing.

"That feels so much better," I groaned, taking in large breaths through my nose.

"Okay, now you're going to need a quick chest x-ray." Harry put his arm around me and I leaned my head on his broad shoulder. "Can I just sit here for a minute?" I asked, closing my eyes and breathing in his smell. Harry nodded, his curls brushing against my flushed cheek. I wrapped my arms around his waist, trying to make eye contact with him. He finally turned and placed his forehead against mine, his warm breath on my lips. I pressed my mouth on his, and I could taste the mint on his tongue as I kissed him deeply. I ignored the fast flutters of my heart, and instead kissed him harder. He moaned quietly into my mouth, pulling my bottom lip between his teeth. A chill ran down my spine as he placed his hand around my neck and his other on my bare back. I gently pushed my hand under the flap of his coat then under his shirt. I could feel his warm skin burn against my fingertips, and it made blood rush down to between my legs. Just as Harry's fingers slipped beneath the waistband of the green hospital shorts I was wearing I heard the click of the door opening.

"Oh my god I am so sorry!" I heard a voice gasp, making me pull away from Harry, my heart racing. I almost fainted from how weak I was, my eyelids fluttering as I layed down on the small table. Harry looked embarrassed and scared as he started at the door that was just slammed shut. Then he focused attention on me. I was trying to control my pounding heart by taking deep breaths and staying completely still.

I couldn't move as Harry lifted me into his strong arms and carried me out the door and into my room. I could see his frantic eyes searching for the person who caught us. I didn't know what she looked like because my back was to the door, but I knew he could.

"I'll get your x-ray soon." I heard him whisper. Then I felt a feather-like kiss being placed on my forehead, bringing a small smile to my lips. My cheeks were still burning from what had happened a few moments ago.

Would Harry lose his job? Let's just hope that the person who saw wasn't one to tell other people's secrets.

HARRY'S POV

I searched frantically for Nurse Ella. She saw me and Louis kissing. I could get fired if she told anybody. Finally, I saw her sitting in a chair, a shocked look on her face. Her eyes were wide as she ran a hand through her short hair, flustered.

"Ella," I breathed, rushing to sit next to her. She let out a gasp at the sight of me. My hair was wild and my lab coat was half off.

"Why did you-" She started and I clamped my hand over her mouth. She narrowed her eyes and I began my plead.

"Please please please don't tell anybody. Please. It won't happen again. It was a misunderstanding." The lie brought a guilty twist in my stomach. It wasn't a misunderstanding. I liked Louis, a lot.

"Fine. But if it happens again I will," Ella sighed, a defeated and confused look on her face.

"Thank you." I replied gratefully.

She shook her head at me in disappointment and it caused a pang in my chest. "I'm so sorry," I whispered, before standing out of my seat and rushing back to check on other patients.

Okay I feel like this chapter was all over the place, but at the same time I don't. I don't know, just please give feedback. You guys are amazing, I can't believe we're already at 1,000 reads.

Hope you enjoyed!

~Kayla x (@uniquelyxlarry)