I'll admit that I'm going to miss this job, but Cassie already told me I'd get free coffee anyway, she would be getting put back on day shifts and they would find another desperate university student to cover the night shifts.

Edward left the cafe after our tutoring session, we bid our goodbyes and he left me with a riddle as he usually did but I had written it down to focus on later the rest of the day passed by in its usual tedious speed and before I knew it I was back home alone in my apartment. I felt the overbearing need to tell someone about this new job I was getting and my mind immediately drifted to the perfect person. I pulled out my phone to dial a number I had been much too ashamed to call for the past few months.

"Ah Alice my dear, I was afraid you'd forgotten me." His playful voice sounded the same as it always had.

"How could I ever forget about you Lex" I replied back, a smile on my face. Lex Luthor and I had been friends for as long as I can remember, my parents had worked with his father before his untimely death and now worked for Lex himself.

"I am pretty unforgettable aren't I?" He questioned sarcastically.

"Absolutely." I laughed. "But I didn't call you to compliment your unforgettableness."

"You don't say?" He played along.

"I just wanted to tell you that next week I'm starting a new job, I don't want to tell mum and dad yet incase it doesn't work out so can we keep this between us." I spoke into the line excitedly.

"Asking me to keep secrets for you? My my Gotham has truly corrupted that innocent mind of yours." I could basically hear the smirk through his voice.

"You are truly hilarious Lex, now shut up and be happy for me." I pouted saracastically into the line.

"I would but I don't even know what kind of job it is yet." I almost facepalmed, I hadn't even told him what the job was yet.

"Oh yeah! I am going to be an assistant for a forensic scientist, it is the best option I have without going back to uni." I explained and I heard him try and hold in a laugh.

"Is that even a real job?" I could hear him struggling to compose himself.

"Shut up! it's the best I got, leave me alone." I sulked and he sobered up.

"I'm sorry Alice, you know I have plenty of positions open at Lex corp, all you have to do is ask." He offered and I shook my head, forgetting he couldn't see me.

"You know I can't." I sighed into the phone. "I want to earn something you know? And Lex you know I love you but if I worked with you I would probably tear your eyes out." We both laughed in agreeance, we had been over this thousands of times and always reached the very same conclusion.

"We should celebrate you getting this new job." He stated and I could already tell he was thinking of overly flamboyant ways to celebrate this insignificant milestone.

"Lex don't you dare, plus I don't even know if it's going to turn out well." I warned he sighed.

"Fine, fine. You start next week don't you?" He asked.

"Yep." I responded shortly, I heard him speaking with someone else before he redirected his attention to me.

"Alice dear I will call you back, it seems something is needing my attention." He sounded hurried.

"No problems Lex, thanks for not telling mum and dad." I thanked him.

"Not a worry Alice goodbye and goodluck next week." He bid his farewell.

"Thanks, bye Lex." And with that he hung up the phone, my nerves vanishing from the call. He had a way of that, making everything seem like a good thing.

I spent the rest of the night thinking about the conversation Edward and I had this morning. It wasn't the first time he had let something like that slip, he had said a number of times how he had been excited for me to work with him but never had he admitted to coming to see me everyday solely for my company.

He was adorable, there was no doubting that. The way his half framed glasses sat at the bridge of his nose always seemed to accentuate his bright smile and how his dimples looked liek tiny craters in his cheeks when he would laugh at one of my jokes. He was always cheery, no matter what anyone else said to him.

He had shared a number of stories of the terrible mistreatings he had faced with his co workers but he never seemed bothered by their horrible words and snarky comments and it was enough to earn my admiration.

He was enough to admire.

---------

What's this? Another early update? Who knew?

Ok I just watched the new episode of Gotham and it gave me major motivation so here is another update!

How do you like Lex? He will play a bigger role in the upcoming chapters and I hope you love him as much as I do but if you don't, don't worry this story does not center around him and he is more of a cameo character.

What did you think of the new episode?
~Mikayla