Chapter 6

Just as he said, he arrived at the cafe at the same time the next day. He wore the same smile and ordered the same cup of tea and I couldn't hide the happiness I felt from having company that wanted to spend time with me. Cass was a lovely girl, but I could tell that she would prefer to keep our friendship purely work based. She had invited me out on occasion but after some time I learned that offers like that were empty gestures that were only asked out of obligation.

I really hope Edward doesn't feel like he is obligated to come back. The humiliation would be too hard to handle.

"Muffin?" I questioned and he nodded with a smile as I got it ready. It wasn't long before I was sitting in front of him once again and we were the only two in the small cafe. He had his lunch break after the lunch rush, making it incredibly easier for us to sit down and talk with one another. If he was comfortable with that, I hope he was and I'm not just being too forward.

"Thank you, Alice." I had never heard him use my first name before but now I was sure I enjoyed hearing him say that more than I enjoyed hearing my last name.

"Not a problem." I replied, both of us beginning to drink our tea. "So Edward, if this is going to become a part of my ever so busy routine I suppose I'm going to have to get to know you." Oh my god that didn't come out nearly as nice as I thought it would. "Not that I don't want this to be a regular thing, I mean I-" I stumbled on my words before taking a deep breath. "I'm a little new at this friend thing." I sighed, face-palming at the awkward encounter.

"As am I, truthfully." He admitted, the ghost of a frown tugging at his lips and my eyes widened as it began to register what I had said previously.

"Oh I didn't mean we were friends! You don't have to be pressured into friendship or anything." I tried to recover.

"So we aren't friends?" He questioned and my face flushed in another state of realization.

"Oh god I didn't mean it like that- look I'm so sorry, I am never this awkward." I apologized and to my relief he began to laugh. A small, hearty laugh that reached his eyes as he watched me stammer over words. His eyes flickered to his fidgeting fingers before returning to mine.

"Well, to help clear the confusion of this... Peculiar situation, I would consider us friends if you would return the title." The statement meant more to me than it probably should of, It wasn't as if I had no friends. I had Cassy, Lex, Jim and Harvey but Edward seemed much more sincere in the meaning of the word friend. As if his definition differs from the way I had always seen it described.

"I would consider us friends also." I replied, not being able to help the smile creeping up onto my face. "Now that the confusion is out of the way I don't suppose you tell me a bit about yourself, considering we are friends now." With that the awkward tension in the room began to vanish, being replaced with witty banter and infectious laughter, he was quite humorous actually. Unknowingly that is.

"So what about you then?" He asked me during a slope in the conversation.

"What about me?" I retorted and he snickered at my playful remark.

"I'd like to get to know you now, I mean I just spilled all my secrets to you I believe it is only reasonable I get the same in return." I nodded at the logic in his answer and decided it was valid enough.

"Seems fair enough to me." I propped my head up with my arm that I rested on the table between us. "Shoot."

"Well since I just told you mine, what's your favourite colour?" He asked, pushing his glasses to the bridge of his nose.

"Definitely not green, no offense but that colour is god awful." He feigned hurt and I laughed at him. "I would say purple would be a colour that I like more than most." I answered and he seemed slightly surprised with the answer.

"I never picked you for someone who likes the colour purple." He shrugged and I smiled.

"What can I say? I never cease to surprise." The two of us continued to get to know one another properly, as friends would do, before Harvey busted through the door in his usual manner.

"Nygma what on Earth are you doing here?" He asked and Ed looked almost frightened.

"It's my lunch break." He replied, trying and failing to sound firm.

"It was your lunch break half an hour ago." Harvey replied and our eyes widened, had we really been here for an hour and a half?

"Sorry Harvey that was my bad, I kept pestering him so he wouldn't leave, would a coffee and a muffin suffice as payment?" I covered for us smoothly. .

"Are you trying to bribe an officer Morelle?" He stated in a teasing manner, feigning serious.

"Are you turning down coffee and a muffin Bullock?" I fired back, Ed just stood there, not knowing exactly what to do to that wouldn't make the situation worse.

"I'm going to get back to work." He finally stated, neatly leaving his up and napkin on the table to make my job easier later.

"See you later Ed!" I called as he left the store, he waved through the window and I couldn't keep the dopey smile from my lips as he did so.

"I'm going to pretend I didn't see that." Harvey mumbled to himself and I rolled my eyes at him playfully.

"He's my new friend, one wrong move from you and he's taking top spot." I taunted, now it was him rolling his eyes.

"You are a real piece of work you know that?" He laughed, taking the coffee and muffin. "Stop distracting the GCPD will you?" I flipped him off as he chuckled to himself on the way next door.

----------------
Hey guys!

I don't know if I ever told you guys but the face claim for this book is the ever so gorgeous Dodie Clark (doddleoddle) she is such a beautiful human and I feel like lookwise her and Edward fit so well beside eachother.

Aren't they just adorable?

~Mikayla