Chapter 10

Alice's POV

Getting up this morning was nothing short of exciting, the buzz of beginning this new job was intoxicating me with adrenaline. The thought of this being the beginning of the rest of my career sending nervous butterflies fluttering in my stomach. It was a big step, one that I hadn't thought I would ever make after deciding to leave university. I thought about the phone call I had with Edward last night, he wasn't good at comforting people I had concluded but my options were limited and he was sweet enough to at least listen to my predicament.

He seemed excited to be working with me, I hoped that he wouldn't change his opinion after seeing me work today. I was determined to impress him with my intelligence because unbeknownst to him I had been doing some studying on my own to try and gain some extra knowledge on everything I would need to know. Of course Edward had covered almost everything but there were certain topics that he had explained so many times I was far too embarrassed to admit I hadn't grasped so I spent hours revising them at home.

I got changed into the most professional outfit I owned, hoping to make a great first impression to those who didn't know me previously as the barista next door. I was going to make a name for myself in the GCPD even though I was going to be an assistant I looked at it as an important stepping stone to one day becoming a fully qualified forensic scientist myself.

Gathering my keys, phone and all other necessary items I would need I was headed out the door ten minutes earlier than I had planned for, just enough time to see Cass before I started. I locked the door of my apartment and found my way to my car, driving the familiar route to the GCPD. Cass said I could keep my car spot at the cafe because they had yet to find my replacement which left me right in front of the GCPD, closer than most other workers.

Closing the door of my car I headed into the cafe I had worked in for months but this time as a customer. Cass greeted me in her usual, bubbly manner, making me a tea before her vision veered behind me, a look of displeasure etched on her features. I turned around, curious as to what she had been staring at when I realized it was Edward. His smile was brighter today, a wide toothy grin that radiated excitement, he looked more excited than I did.

"Hey Edward!" I greeted him.

"Hello Alice." He replied. "I saw you in here and figured I would walk into work with you." The offer seemed odd but not out of the ordinary for him. "To show you around and such." He tried to explain but after spending enough time with him I had grown to understand his often misinterpreted offers.

"That sounds lovely." I responded, smiling back to him. I turned around and accepted the coffee from Cass who wished me luck but this time with a false smile. I bushed it off as I walked with Edward the very short distance between Cup at Joe's and the GCPD. "I'm so nervous." I exclaimed, everything rushing back to me.

"Being nervous is a mental reaction to a potentially harming situation which I can assure you, nothing will cause you any sort of harm." I assumed this was his way of making me feel better, it hadn't worked until I looked back up at him, his eyes held such authenticity, and I found myself feeling slightly better.

"I suppose you're right, thanks." A small smile painted my lips as I took a deep breath, he pushed the door opened for me and I walked through.

The GCPD was just as chaotic as it had been when I delivered Harvey his coffee. People were buzzing about, all looking extremely busy and in no mood to be interrupted, it was intimidating to say the least. I glanced toward him, our eyes meeting as he gave me a bright smile as a means of reassurance but it only replaced the nervous butterflies with bashful ones.

Harvey was the first to come over to me, a surprised smile on his face and his arms spread in a welcoming hug that I accepted. Edward stiffened at the contact and coughed awkwardly before we pulled away.