Connections

When we finally got to Reiner's, I swore my heart was going so fast it was going to beat right out of my chest. It was the first time I was seeing where he actually parked his RV when he wasn't eating at Scouts, and I couldn't tell if the area made me more nervous or a little more relaxed. It was in a small parking lot at the beach and, looking around, we were the only ones there. Reiner probably wouldn't have hesitated much to hurt us if there were people around, so it didn't exactly feel safe to be there alone.

Trying to shake any worries from my mind, I walked over to join Jean at the door to the recreational vehicle. Jean glanced over at me and I gave a short nod in return, silently telling him to go ahead and knock on the door. Reiner answered almost immediately, a scowl forming on his face when he saw me.

"Do you two not go anywhere on your own?" He commented harshly, closing the door behind him as he got out, focusing on Jean. "Well? Have you got my money?"

"We want answers first," Jean said, showing no fear as he took a step closer to him.

"You'll be getting a fucking blade to your neck if I don't get my money-"

"Jean, just give it to him," I cut in, not wanting to have to deal with any injuries. I didn't doubt that what Reiner said was true.

Jean gave me a glare, clearly not happy that I gave in so easily. Even so, he took a step back, reaching into his jacket to pull out the envelope of money. He had made sure to take out what we would keep beforehand, of course.

Reiner grabbed it from him as soon as he saw it, opening it up a little to check that the amount fitted what Jean owed him. He glanced up, then, giving a short nod before turning to go back into his RV. I called out before he could open the door, though.

"Wait! We still need some answers from you."

He turned back to look at me, his brows raised slightly. He looked like he was about to go back to opening the door but he stopped when Jean spoke up.

"It's about Marco."

There was a pause, then, where none of us spoke or made any movement. After a few short moments, Reiner slowly moved his hand away from the handle, leaning back against the door and folding his arms. "What about him?"

"We're trying to figure out what happened to him," I explained, doing my best to sound calm. "That's why we need you to-"

"To what?" He interrupted. "What could I possibly know that will help you figure out where Marco has been hiding for the past five months?" He shook his head a little. "You two are in way over your heads."

"Hey, unlike you, we're actually trying to do something about this," Jean snapped, taking a step towards him. "Just because you didn't care about him-"

"I cared way more about him than you ever did," he snapped back, moving forward as well. They were both glaring down at each other, looking as though they could snap and start throwing punches at any second.

Jean closed the gap between them, his hands formed into fists down by his sides. "Bullshit! No one cared more about him than me."

Reiner rolled his eyes, clearly disbelieving. "I loved him," he said, his voice still strong but more calmed down. I barely had the time to think about what he had said before Jean was shouting back at him.

"And I was in love with him."

Another pause - a silence filled only by Jean's heavy breathing as the two continued to stare each other down. I tried not to let his words bother me but I really couldn't help it. Yet again, I was jealous of something that shouldn't even be bothering me. The whole Marco situation deserved far more attention and respect than simply me getting jealous every other minute.