Hero

(Possible triggers in this chapter for attempted suicide)

We spent the car ride back to school in silence. In all honesty, I was still feeling a little embarrassed after the whole kissing incident with Jean. I hadn't expected myself to be so disappointed when it turned out he was just messing around, and as my thoughts dragged along through my mind there was nothing I could do but hope that he hadn't noticed any of it.

He pulled up by the school, staring down at his hands on the wheel for a moment before looking over at me. "I'll see you later, yeah? After class or something?"

"'Course. I'll text you then," I promised, offering a faint smile. "Don't get into any shit between now and then."

He rolled his eyes. "I'll try," he mumbled, watching me as I nodded and opened the passenger door to get out. I shut the door, about to make my way to class but stopping as Jean rolled down the window and caught my attention. "Hey, Eren," he said, waiting for me to turn to face him before continuing. "You should really start taking chances more often," he said with a smirk, before driving off.

I stayed staring at the space where he had just been for a few moments, trying to process what he meant by saying that. Did he want me to kiss him again, or was he just messing around with me?

Knowing Jean, it was probably the latter. Then again, did I really know Jean that well after all these years I've been away from him? Sometimes I felt like he hadn't even changed at all, save for his appearance of course, but other times it felt like he couldn't be any more different. He had always been the type to mess around with me, so maybe he was just acting like how he had before I left. I did know Jean was gay, though. Was it really that farfetched that he was flirting with me?

I shook my head in an attempt to get the thoughts out of my mind. If I spent time trying to figure out what everything Jean said and did had meant, I'd never have time to to do anything else.

I made my way up the steps to the school building, shoving my hands in my pockets and ignoring the students around me as I walked through the hallway. I paused when I spotted Nile, about to turn around and find a different way to my class when he called me over.

I had to hold back a grumble of annoyance as I walked over to stand in front of him.

"I wanted to talk to you about what happened yesterday. Was that really your marijuana?"

"Yes," I answered without hesitation, not wanting to have to give Jean any more problems than he already had. "Why? Are you going to try and get me excluded?" I said, trying to sound challenging instead of worried like I actually was.

"I don't think that's necessary. I know most of you kids here smoke that shit, anyway, especially at those damn parties you have. Just stop smoking it around Jean. We've had enough trouble trying to get him to stop smoking as it is."

I bit down on my lip. Was Jean really smoking that much? If he had seriously spent all that money on it... God, I wouldn't be surprised if I found out he was dependent on the stuff.

"I honestly don't think I'll be smoking again at all. You don't have to worry about me smoking it around Jean."

"Good," he said, seeming to hesitate slightly before speaking again. "It's appreciated. You can go to class now."

I just nodded, a little surprised at the hesitation he showed. Maybe he really did care about Jean after all.

I looked him over for a moment before making my way over to Mr Ackerman's classroom, seeing as there was only five minutes left before class started. He was standing out in the hallway next to the door to his class, talking to Krista with his arms folded. Before I could even get close enough to hear what they were talking about, Krista had turned away from him and was walking away.