Taking the Blame

It didn't take too long for us to reach Jean's place, the rest of the drive being spent in silence. The house was empty when we got there, which was kind of a relief since I was still trying to get comfortable around Jean again.

We went straight up to his bedroom once we got there. Although the rest of the house still looked pretty similar from when I was younger, I wasn't surprised at all when I saw how different Jean's room was.

I closed the bedroom door behind me as I followed him in, looking around at the poster-covered walls. Given his appearance, it wasn't exactly a shock to see that the posters were all of punk and metal bands that I hadn't even really heard of before.

His room wasn't anything compared to him, though. Everything in his appearance had changed. His hair was dyed light blue, his ears stretched, one brow pierced, and I swore I could see a tattoo peeking out from under his shirt. Even his clothes were so different, his jeans now black and ripped and his old trainers replaced with combat boots. It was so weird, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't look good on him.

I raised my brows slightly as Jean sat on the edge of his bed and lit a joint, wrinkling my nose slightly at the smell. "You smoke?"

He rolled  his eyes in response. "Relax, Jaeger. It's just pot. No one has ever gotten hurt from weed before."

"I know, I know. It just feels... weird, seeing you do it," I said, taking off my bag and dropping it beside the bed before going over to sit beside him.

"I'm guessing you've never tried it?"

"Nope."

"Here," he said, holding it out to me and rolling his eyes again when I didn't take it. "Come on, Eren, just one take won't kill you."

"Fine," I mumbled, taking the joint from him and looking down at it unsurely.

"You have no idea what to do, do you?"

"Not a clue."

He chuckled lightly, shaking his head a bit. "Just breathe in as much as you can and try to hold it. Oh, and don't get the tip wet."

"Uh, alright," I mumbled, holding it to my lips and taking a deep breath in, only to start coughing a few moments later. "Fucking- shit," I choked, handing it back over to Jean as I tried to calm myself down.

Jean just laughed, grinning over at me as he took it back. "Don't worry, the burning means it's working," he said, lying back on his bed with a grin and blowing out some smoke.

"Fuck, Jean. I think that set my lungs on fire," I choked out, lying down beside him. 

"Oh, you're fine," he assured, looking me over for a moment before reaching over and grabbing my phone from my pocket.

"Christ, Jean, what are you doing now?"

"Chill, dude. I'm just adding my number to your contacts," he explained, sitting up as he unlocked my phone. He balanced the joint between his lips, reaching into his pocket before handing me his phone.

I hummed softly, sitting up as I took the phone but pausing as I noticed the lock screen. I stared at the photo for a few moments, biting down on my lip as I tried to decide whether or not to say anything. 

The lock screen was a selfie of Jean and Marco, the guy who was on all the missing person's posters. They looked so happy together. I felt awful, I had no idea they even knew each other...

"What are you thinking right now?" Jean asked, his voice softer than before, pulling me out of my thoughts.

I looked back over at him before back at the phone, not really sure what to say. "That's Marco Bodt, right? I've seen his posters around school," I said quietly.