Believe Me

I gave a quiet groan as I was woken up by the sound of my alarm, blindly reaching over and grabbing my phone where the sound was coming from. Peeking one eye open, I turned the alarm off, staring blankly at the screen for a few moments afterwards before noticing that I had unread text messages. Still barely awake, I sat up and leant back again the headboard of my bed to read them. 

'Wake up, Doctor Who. It's time for you to show me your powers.' -J [7:02 am]
'No, but, seriously. Wake up.' -J [7:06 am]
'Ereeeennnn' -J [7:09 am]

I rolled my eyes, unable to help but smile a little. It was definitely a relief that Jean's attitude to what I had told him last night had changed, even if he still didn't seem to believe me one hundred percent. After I had explained everything to him last night, he just told me that it was getting late and that we could talk more about it in the morning. He did seem like he was really listening to me and taking everything seriously, though, so that was really all I needed at the time.

'I'm up, I'm up. Where do you want to meet? I've got to come back to school for 11 btw' -E [7:11 am]

'Scouts? I'm craving pancakes for breakfast.' -J [7:11 am]

'Your ma's diner? Sure. See you there at 8? -E [7:11 am]

'Not a minute after.' -J [7:12 am]

I stared up at the ceiling for a few moments before managing to drag myself out of bed. I had stayed up most of the night reading up on theories on time travel, so I hadn't exactly gotten much sleep. I didn't mind too much, though, just wanting to go out so that I could meet up with Jean again.

After a quick shower, I got dressed and grabbed my bag before leaving the dorm building. I made my way down to the bus stop, pausing when I saw Nile and Oluo talking to each other. I raised my brows slightly, knowing that there was no way that them talking could be a good thing.

I continued walking, deciding it would be best to stay unnoticed by them. The bus didn't take too long to arrive, and less than ten minutes later I was off the bus and looking over at the old diner.

Linda, Jean's mother, was the owner of the diner and had worked there for as long as I could remember. She always made the best food and would always cook when I stayed over at Jean's house. Although it was probably going to be a little awkward given the fact that I hadn't seen her for five years, and of course because she's a friend's parent, it was definitely worth it for the food.

I made my way into the diner, unsurprised when I saw that Jean wasn't there yet. It was only a couple of minutes past eight, so it didn't matter really. I sat down at a booth in the corner, putting my bag off to the side and glancing around the room.

Only a few moments later, Jean's mother made her way over to me with a welcoming smile on her face. "Good morning, Eren, It's nice to see you again after all these years."

"It's nice to be back," I said, offering an awkward smile. "It's nice to see a lot of things haven't changed around here. I mean, a few things have changed a lot, obviously..."

"I'm guessing you're referring to Jean," she said, sighing a little but still smiling. "He may look different and have  more of an attitude now, but he's still the same person you grew up with."

"I know, and it is nice being with him again. I'm sorry I didn't keep in touch when I moved, I know it must have been really hard on you and Jean after Hannes..."

"It was, but I've managed to move on with my life. Jean, however..."

"I'm sure he'll learn how to move on eventually," I said, not too keen on talking about how Jean has badly Jean had coped after his father's death.