Seeing In Color (Shinguuji Korekiyo x Reader)

Soulmates AU: you see in black and white until you touch your soulmate, when the world floods to color.
---

"You guys are so lovey dovey..." you moaned somberly, staring at the half-consumed food on your desk. Across from you sat your closest friends, Sonia and Gundham, who were nuzzling up against each other.

It was always like this, however. As soon as Sonia came to Hope's Peak from the Novoselic Kingdom, you and her immediately clicked and grew close. During that time, she met Gundham, and her whole world flooded with color; she had met her soulmate. Gundham and you were always sort-of friends, but you were pretty much stuck third wheeling them. You didn't think anything of it, though you admittedly had very low hopes for ever finding your own soulmate.

"What might have upset you?" The Princess asked, a concerned from plastered on her face. You shook your head, not wanting to burden her with your problems.

"It's nothing," you reassured her, though your efforts at trying to change the topic backfired.

"Ha, foolish mortal! Do not lie to the Dark Lord!" Gundham yelled in a voice that was a little too loud for the quiet classroom. You sighed, mustering up the courage to explain the truth.

"I'm just... a little discouraged as to whether or not I'll find my soulmate," you admitted sadly.

Sonia frowned, a slight hint of anger on her face. You couldn't help but wonder what color they were- being from a foreign country, they were probably colored strangely. "Don't say that! I'm sure you will find them soon!"

"I hope so," you smiled wryly. The bell then rang, signifying afternoon classes were about to begin. You stood up to take out the garbage, slightly relieved that the conversation was over.

After class had ended, you began to walk through the bustling hallways to your dorm room. You were focused on your phone, responding to a text message from your mom. Your eyes remained fixated on the conversation, despite the fact you ended up running into someone on your walk.

The text bubble suddenly turned a vibrant hue- blue, was it called? You could vaguely remember Sonia and Gundham describing it as such... wait a moment.

It was like time stopped. You slowly looked up from your cell phone, everything around you in glorious shades you had never experienced before. Some bright, some dull, and yet all of them were magnificent and beautiful. After a few moments, the reality hit you.

You had "accidentally" bumped into your soulmate.

You turned your head around slowly, expecting tower nothing but the usual bustle of students. They all passed by insignificantly, immersed in their own conversations. Some gave you weird stares, but they weren't directed at you alone. Someone else had froze up, standing directly behind you.

And that was when you saw him. Long black hair (a color you could proudly identify), eyes of a warm shade one might compare to the sun, a black mask concealing the power portion of his face. His warm eyes were widened, an every surprised expression on his face. He was very handsome, but only in a peculiar kind of way.

After a few moments frozen like that, you opened your mouth up to speak. "Can you... by chance... see in color too, now?"

Wordlessly, the boy nodded. Your heart began to race, still in complete disbelief of the situation at hand. It all felt like a dream- the colors, the boy, everything.

"So, that means... you must be my soulmate," he concluded in a smooth, deep voice. Something about the way he proclaimed it made the situation even more surreal.

"Yeah," you chuckled nervously. He began to walk in your direction, beckoning for you to follow. A flurry of colored blobs passed by you both as you eventually made it out of the academy.

"Humans are truly beautiful... I feel as if a greater appreciation for them has awoken inside of me now that I can experience them in color," he mumbled to himself. He then turned to you, his eyes half-lidded. "Escpecially yourself, my dear. I can only wonder what would make someone like you my soulmate... I can't help but wonder if you're just as beautiful as- if not more than- some others I've seen."

"...I assume your talent has something to do with humans?" You guessed, watching as he nodded in response.

"It does. My, I apologize for not introducing myself to you sooner," he suddenly took your hand, holding it gingerly in his. It was covered with thin, grey bandages, but it was still strangely warm. "My name is Shinguuji Korekiyo, and I am known as the Ultimate Cultural Anthropologist. And you are?"

"(Y/n) (l/n)," you croaked, gazing into his eyes. "Ultimate (talent)."

"Kukuku... A beautiful name and talent for a beautiful human," he laughed darkly. Your cheeks begin to tingle at his words, relishing in his strange, backwards compliment.

"T-thank you," you choked in response. He shut his eyes, as if he was thinking about something. In that moment, your eyes drifted towards the sky. The sun shining overhead was identically colored to his eyes- yes, they were yellow. Maybe even 'golden', a term Gundham has used to describe Sonia's hair.

"Well, my dear (y/n), as we are soulmates, I think it is only fair we get to know each other better," he explained. "Where would you like to go?"

"Hm..." you hummed, tapping your chin with your finger in thought. "Well... we've never met, but can we get a coffee or something?"

"We just did," he informed me calmly, a hint of amusement in his voice. "But yes, I would be delighted to. However, I may sit out on the beverage consumption, as I do not wish to show you what is beneath my mask just yet."

"Fair," I replied, a smile creeping up on my face as I began to walk away from the academy. The world around me looked so strange in color, yet it was completely beautiful.

As I began to walk, I felt the bandaged hand from before grab mine again. I looked to my side and saw him walking beside me, a determined look on his face. Suddenly, I began to speak without thinking.

"Yellow," I stated bluntly.

"Pardon me?"

"I'm sorry... your eyes. They're yellow."

---

THIS IS MY MOST FAVORITE ONE SHOT EVER PLEASE VOTE IF YOU ENJOYED IT AND LEAVE MORE REQUESTS ESPECIALLY FOR SOULMATE AUs THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!