Chapter 8

Leo advanced forward, his chemically advanced blades were secured to his back and he held the rifle which his father had left behind many years before. Hakyeon trailed behind him, at a slower pace; fearing what would happen if he went with Leo but knowing that he would never let Leo go alone. Hakyeon carried a silver dagger which Leo had given him for his previous birthday and he carried enough food and water for a week. He wished more than anything that they wouldn't have to be outside for longer than a day.

Leo had noticed Eli's disappearance when he had entered the old tavern. The floor was broken in places alerting him that the monsters had found Eli and the children. Myungsoo sat at the counter, holding on to a baby and whispering words of comfort in its ear. He turned to Leo and gave him a sympathetic smile. Leo was slow to grasp what Myungsoo implied; he refused to believe that Eli was one of the many bodies among the dead. Hakyeon knew straight away that they would not be embracing Eli that day.

Leo spoke, his voice shaking as he enquired "Where is she?"

Myungsoo held his breath, afraid of angering Leo "She's alive, one of he blues took her." He glanced at Leo before turning to Hakyeon, hoping for some form of comfort " I heard them speaking, he said he would keep her. For what I don't know.

Leo stepped forward, a silent and deadly anger was present in his eyes. Hakyeon grabbed his arm, in an attempt to stop him from doing anything that he would later regret.

"You heard? Then why did you not save her?" He spoke as if he was calm, but Hakyeon knew otherwise. "Was it because she refused your proposal? She is barely eighteen and yet you couldn't save her because of the humiliation you felt when she denied your offer." Leo spat out.

"She's eighteen, you know the rules Leo, and we are a dying race. She needs to marry before her twentieth birthday. It's expected of her as a woman." Myungsoo spoke with fear laced in his voice, knowing very well that the monsters which he had hid from where nothing compared to an angry Leo.

"And what's expected of you stereotypically as a man is that you protect the woman and children of this village but you failed to do just that. So don't speak to me about what is expected of my sister. I am warning you, if I find my sister dead or suffering then I will kill you."

Hakyeon tugged at Leo's shirt "We should go clearly she is not here, maybe she is waiting for you at home?"

"Hakyeon I would know if she was at home, they took her and I need to go help her. You know what happened to my father so you know very well why I cannot leave her with those monsters." Leo turned towards Myungsoo "You will come with me and if you happen to die then it is what you deserve."

Leo knew that both Myungsoo and Hakyeon were following behind him. Leo turned to face Hakyeon before begging "Please stay behind, so that I know you are safe."

"And what if the beasts return? Taekwoon, I am weak, yes but I am also your brain. If I accompany you we will get there much quicker. Remember those books I read to you, 'Lord of the Rings' well would Frodo have made it anywhere without Sam? Well than consider me your Sam and accept that I would follow you anywhere." Hakyeon stood up straight, knowing that Leo could never say no to him.

Leo sighed "Fine but you will have to carry a weapon, it is dangerous out there and I cannot be worrying about you the whole time. Also you have to carry my bags so that my arms are free and I can access my blades if we come across any danger." He spoke with a smile making its way on to his face.

"Wait a minute, you had this planned, knowing very well that I would follow you. You could have just asked me to carry your bags you idiot." Hakyeon glared playfully at Leo.