Chapter 25

Chapter 25

I sigh loudly, succumbing to the fact that somehow this was my punishment as well. For a moment, Admira and I work in silence. I watch her silently work on her pumpkin, without complaining or talking.

Admira and I were a lot in common, now that I looked at her. We were both, dark, quiet, obedient, serious and at least outwardly, innocent. I often thought about how I would be like if I were to fit into my own family, how it would be if I looked like them, mom and Elli. And now that I look at Admira, I think my own inner mystery has been solved.

The thing was neither one of us was particularly serious, or for that matter all that dark. Like I’ve said before we weren’t keeping ourselves busy by burning ants underneath a microscope or shooting down birds. We just kept to ourselves, hiding in the shadows you could say. 

Most of the time, Admira would be found somewhere lofting in the house talking to no one but herself and for myself, well when I was younger I didn’t like too much being touched in any kind of way, friendly nor sexually – but in a simplified world, that was enough to set us apart as being “dark”.

“Belle, don’t you like that you’re family has found you?” She abruptly asks.

I halted my carving knife in midair, taken a little aback by her saddened outburst. Then placed it, back into the pumpkin softly, rendering myself. “I’m perfectly fine with my sister being here.” I say to her, realizing I hadn’t truly answered her question and making sure to leave Will out of the equation.

“But you looked so sad when you first saw them, like you didn’t want to be found.”

I shake my head, nervously chuckling to myself. “You don’t miss a thing, do you? Even at eight years old.”

“It’s not easy to miss. When you feel sad, you look sad.”

“I’m not sad. It’s just very unexpected and look it’s complicated you know? I was just trying to start over, not wanting to be a burden on her life any longer. That’s why I ended up here.” I look up from my sad excuse for a pumpkin carving giving her my best fake smile.

“Did you ever think that maybe some people don’t get to start over, they just end up in a new place?”

I blink my eyes rapidly, trying to wrap my head around her theory. Where was this coming from? I can’t help but get a little mad, as I refer back to Mrs. Mae comment towards her daughter.

You need to wrap your small little brain around that.

Admira’s brain wasn’t small at all. In fact it was probably too big for her own good, she was increasingly intelligent for her age.

“When did you get so wise?” I tease her, and she giggles.

“I don’t care what mama says, I think you should be able to hang around Harry.”

“Wait – What was that?”

“Yeah, you know. I see the way you two are with each other and I can see he makes you happy and that you tend to make him happy too. I know he’s done some pretty bad things, but even bad people deserve to be happy, I think.”

I can’t help but smile like a bubbling idiot. “Yeah, you think?”

“Yeah.” She finally looks at me for the first time in our conversation and she’s smiling. “He likes you, I can tell. He thinks you’re a pretty girl. He’s actually talked about you to me before, and I liked that. I – I missed talking to him. He used to be fun.” She whispers that last part, but she also giggles it too.