Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Harry looks at me miserably, yet his face also holds an unrelenting expression. I've come to relies he has mastered the ability to express many emotions in one gaze. He waits for me to say something, and when I don't he clears his throat. "are you expecting anyone?" His voice is rigid and throws a darting glance over towards the abandoned cup of tea. I refuse to let him get the best of him. He was purposefully trying to terror-strike me and I was tired of it. I stare at him hard and there's a slow pause. 

"No" I ment it to come out more unfriendly, but the word is slow and heavy. Now he looks totally pissed off. I don't know if it was from my attempt of dominance or that he caught  me preparing tea, instead of in the attic where I had promised to return. I never planned for some lunatic to barge into the house like she owned the place. She was the one who ditched me in my defense. 

He places a hand possesively on my arm. My sleeves are pushed up, so his bare skin is touching mine. My stomach plummets. "You were suppose to meet me back upstairs, not play mad hater with your set of tea" his voice his cold but there's a hint of sorrow behind it. If anyone is mad it's him. "I am- was. Some lady marched her way through the door and-" 

"I don't see anybody" he tries to say in bewilderment looking around as if I'm lying. 

"I-" now that he's standing here before me, my excuses must sound ludicrous. There really is no sign of a woman or anybody for that matter had been here at all. Only a small cup filled with tea, but since my cup shattered that lonely cup that resides on the table tops is placed perfectly set for a tea party ment for one.

Me.

I find the courage to meet his eyes and something in Harry's entire demeanor changes, like a candle, whose flame is dimming right before it goes out. His dark eyes are furrowed as he looks passed me. He clucks his tongue. "Shall we go back up now" His voice is so quiet I almost have to lean in to hear him. Despite his soft voice, the huskyness to it makes his response more of a command than a debrief. 

I sheepily nod and he loosens his grip on my wrist, but not completely. He guides me back up the empty staircase. The air is thick and lingers between the two of us. He pulls the string and the roar of the ladder comes tumbling down, echoing throughout the hallway. Now that I'm here, I'm afraid to go in, which is absurd. I'm a brave person. Why should one room with one person scare me? But I pause in my tracks. Maybe that's why Im frightened. No one is home. Mrs. Mae has disapeared in the day doing something Im not quite certain of and Admira has left for school. It is just him and me. 

Alone. 

I barely know the guy. All I know were a few scattered bits of information about him. Two things actually. His name and the accusation against him for commiting the infamous murders throughout East End London. I should feel more unsettled then I do right now, because he hasn't really denied the murders. 

We make our way to a clear space in the crowded attice. Im taken by surprise when he flops to the ground. I expecting him to at least show me some rare artifact or at least attack me. I just stare at him. "Well aren't you going to sit down" he says while eyeing me up and down "or are you going to contiue to be rude while you just burn holes through my skull." He squints his eyes in question "what's your deal-' he stops mid sentence and Im positive he can read me like an open book. Im way too obvious for my own good because I'm still just standing in the middle of the room with an uneasy expression that's masking my face. He can see the increasingly uncomfortable thoughts twisted through my mind. 

"what you didnt think?" and he grins and my heart skips a beat. The fact that I keep noticing his haunting good looks bothers me. 

"No" I stutter "but still I thought ... you know...." He pretends to look confused with that stupid smerk on his face. I want to slap it off. Im forced to finish my thought outloud. ugh. "It's just, the last place I thought I'd die wasn't going to be in an eerie attic by a psycho serial killer." Harry bursts out laughing as If I've said something foolish.