25

"Have you seen the pic?"

"What pic?"

"You know, the freshman Ayane with Sendoh of Ryonan?"

"I wish I was her."

"Yeah, you wish. Unless you want more than a hundred fangirls to hate you."

The catty snickers of girls can be overheard from the stall I was currently in. It was lunch time, I was just supposed to wash my hands in the restroom when a group of girls appeared and I forced myself inside a stall to listen to their gossips, since I heard my name involved in their chat when they were just outside the door.

"What did Sendoh see from her, anyway?"

"She's just so normal."

"But she's reeeaaallly pretty!"

"Yeah, there's no arguing that."

"I want to see that pic again!"

"Here, here."

"Heck, I now a girl even prettier than her."

"You're kidding, right?"

"If the girl you're talking about is prettier than Ayane, then Sendoh should be the one liking her, not Ayane."

With the last sentence, they all bursted into giggles, and I decided to come out of the stingy cubicle I was in. The door creaked, and when they turned they gasped. Maybe it was because of my grim face that made me look like a character from The Ring. They were applying different products on their faces, unlike my current facade of a vengeful spirit.

"A-ayane, were you there all along?" One girl asked, keeping all her brushes and lipstick inside a purse.

"Talking behind someone else's back, that's nothing new." I said as I washed my hands, giving them a livid sidelong glance.

These girls are underestimating me because I'm quiet. I know more than I say, I think more than I can speak, I observe more than I act.

"C'mon, let's get out of here." They said before rushing outside.

Three weeks.

Three weeks since I've seen Sendoh, since I've heard his voice, since I've seen his smile, and it was all because of the kiss he gave me.

I know he wanted to contact me, but I was the one who don't. I turned the airplane mode of my phone on so that I can't receive any messages. I also planned not to meet him every afternoon, since if it were to happen he'll insist on us walking home together.

I decided to change my phone password to numbers. I used the kiss me first as the password back then because that was the line used by the male protagonist in the book that got me hooked. Who knew someone will get the wrong idea of it?

The top scorers for the exam we had was posted on the bulletin board. I traced my fingers on the list, starting at the bottom, and stopping when I reached the top.

1. Koyuki Ayane

I won't believe it until I receive my own testpaper. After getting it back at the first subject for the afternoon, and gladly, it's the same score, I let the day pass until the sky was already a canvas of oranges and sanguines.

◽◽◾◾