School of Dreams Chapter 5

***Peter's POV***

I ran into the auditorium. There were adults swarming over the stage, and I heard someone say, "Yeah, I just called 911. They're on their way."

Oh no. No, please!

I scanned the stage. Amythyst was lying on her back, her right foot at an awkward angle. She was yelling in pain, and then she was quiet.

"What happened?" A tall man was storming down the aisle towards the stage. I barely got out his way before he ran me over.

"She broke her ankle, Mr. Dodges! We've called 911."

Mr. Dodges? The dean of the school? I'd never seen him before.

He was a tall man, with a slightly bulky build. Not like heavy, but above skinny. Clearly an athlete. Everyone in the room seemed to shrink at the sight of him. He obviously used fear to rule this place. I could see why. He looked as if he could snap someone in half with out a second thought.

"How did it happen?" He demanded.

"She landed badly on the way down from her leap sir." It was the man who had led Amythyst into the auditorium.

"Poor girl.... where are her things? I'll get them so the ambulance can get them to her. And do we know who to notify? What's her full name? Where's her paper work?" Wait...this guy had a heart? Wow. It sure didn't look like it at first.

"Um, excuse me, sir?" I said walking up to him.

It takes more guts than you'd think. He turned to me.

"What can I do for you?"

"I have here things out in the lobby."

"Are you here brother? Boyfriend? How do you know her?"

"Actually, we just met an our ago and became friends."

"Oh. Well, go get them! What are you waiting for?"

I ran. Trust me, when a man like that tells you to hurry, you run.

I grabbed her bag from the chair. The medics were bringing the stretcher through the doors.

I grabbed her cell phone from the outer pocket. I'd seen her slip it in there earlier. I know you're never supposed to go into a woman's purse without being invited first, but this was an emergency.

I looked up her mom's cell number. It answered on the third ring.

"Amythyst? How did it go? Did you get in?" the voice was all excited and sweet. This was going to be hard.

"Um, actually Mrs. Grohbner, my name is Peter. I'm a friend of Amythyst's."

"Oh? Where is she? Is everything alright?"

"Funny you should ask....she's actually being carried out of the school right now on a stretcher."

I heard a gasp and a cry. "What?? What happened?"

"She fell from her leap and broke her ankle. She passed out from the pain, and they're taking her to the hospital."

"Which one? I'll call my husband and meet her there."

"I believe the one on Brad Avenue."

"I'll be right there! Oh, would you mind riding with here in the ambulance? In case she wakes up?"

"Not a problem. I was planning on it."

"Thanks!" She hung up.

I ran after the stretcher, and turned the corner into the main lobby. I ran strait into Danger.

"Whoa! Dude watch it!"

"Sorry!"

"Oh, hey Peter Pan!"

"Not now, ok? I have to go!" I tried to run past her.

"Whoa, chill dude. Where's the fire?"

"Huh?" Fire? What fire?

"I mean what's the rush?"

"The rush is that Amythyst broke her ankle, passed out, and is being loaded into that ambulance as we speak and I need to be on it!" I said in one giant breath.

"Oh my god! Is she ok?" I just looked at her.

"Seriously?" I said.

"Oh. Right. Ambulance."

We both turned to look. It was pulling out of the driveway. Crap!!

"Hey, listen, I have my car with me! I'll drive you!"

"Oh, thank god!"

We ran out of the building.

It was a five minute ride to the emergency room at the hospital. Danger drove like a mad woman and got us there in three. We pulled up next the ambulance and jumped out of the car.

Amythyst was still lying there unconscious. Good. Well, not good, obviously. But at least she wasn't awake and alone and scared.

Danger and I walked into the building with her and the medics.

We checked in as visitors, and I signed my name as her brother, Peter Grohbner. It was the only way I'd be allowed to stay with her until her mother got here.

Danger obviously couldn't pass for her sister. She was half Asian and looked absolutely nothing like her. She wished us luck, and we exchanged cell numbers so I could call her and let her know what happened.

I was in a room with Amythyst (who was still unconscious.) When a woman and man came rushing into the room and straight to her bed.

'Oh my god! Amythyst! Honey can you hear me?"

"Nope." I said. They both wheeled around to see who had spoken. Their eyes fell on me immediately. "She's unconscious." I finished.

"Oh! You must be Peter!" the woman said.

I rose from my chair. "Yes M'am. Nice to meet you Mr. And Mrs. Grohbner. I wish it didn't have to be here." I shook their hands. And gave Mrs. Grohbner my seat.

"Oh, please call us Tracy and Tim." Mr. Grohbner said.

Just then the doctor came in to take her to surgery. We all were ushered to a waiting room. It was way to familiar. The icy cold hand was going crazy on my face.

Tracy and Tim asked me to explain what had happened from the beginning. So I started with me knocking her down the steps outside when we first met.

They were silent through the entire story. At the end, they actually thanked me for helping Amythyst get here.

"But I'm the one responsible for all this!" I said.

"Peter, anyone could have made that mistake. In fact, I'm willing to bet that that has happened at that school dozens of times. It's ok. It was an accident."

We waited the remainder of the time reading magazines in silence.