Chapter 1

Into the west came many men. Some were good men, and some were bad men.

Some were good men with some bad in them, and some were bad men with some good in them.

This is the story of two pretty good bad men.

Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry, together these gentlemen substantially altered the course of the America's frontier.

They did a lot to change railroad schedules too.

And in all the trains and banks they robbed, they never shot anyone.

This made our two latter day Robin Hoods very popular, with everyone but the railroads and banks.

Because unlike Robin Hood, Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry, robbed from the rich and kept the money for themselves.

It was a good life. But times were changing. Safes were getting better. The posse's were getting bigger. The sheriffs were getting smarter. And modern communications made it only a matter of time until they would be captured and maybe even killed.

~        ~         ~  

"Will you please put that down?" Hannibal Heyes looked at his partner Kid Curry and frowned.

For at least the fourth time since they had stopped for the night, Curry had cleaned his gun.

Heyes shook his head.

"I can see my own reflection in that one now. Lucky for me the sun's not up anymore, or it would blind me..." he reached for the coffee pot that was next to the campfire. He poured himself a generous amount of coffee in the cup and eased back down.

Curry ignored the irony from his friend.

"I want it clean "

"It became clean the first time " Heyes glared at him.

Curry looked up and met his friend's glare.

"I missed a spot "

"Missed a sp..." Heyes blurted out, then he sighed in defeat, "Missed a spot? You know you are driving me crazy, don't you?"

Curry smirked at him. Then he shuddered a little. The warmth of the day, had turned into an evening chill as the sun had set and they'd stopped to make camp for the night.

They had found a spot near a small creak, and after a whole day of being saddleworn, they had welcomed the idea of making camp. Their horses grazed a few feet away, neatly tied to some trees.

Heyes wrinkled his nose and snorted at his partners unerring accuracy about cleaning his gun. But that was somehow the Kid. If he did not clean his gun with accuracy, he practiced shooting with the same precision. Nothing was half way with the Kid.

Pulling their blankets around themselfs, they shared some hardtack and whiskey besides the coffee, the evening getting colder as the stars were beginning to show.

"I'll take first watch " Heyes declared and slowly stood up, gulping down the last of the whiskey, humming as the liquid slid smoothly down his throat "I'll wake you up later "

Putting his gun back in it's holster, Curry settled with being at second watch and made himself as comfortable as he could on his bedroll on the ground.

As the full moon were up, Heyes had a fair view of the whole camp, even the horses a way back were visible.

How many nights had he been on watch like this? Hundred, thousands? He didn't know. During their outlaw days there had been more than plenty, of course, then they had been a few more to share watch. Wheat, Kyle, Lobo to name a few. Thinking back, he kinda missed those days, even though he was glad they were over.